drneau.com Forum Index drneau.com
A discussion board for drneau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Two That Got Away

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaxPower
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: The Two That Got Away Reply with quote

Here's how my luck's been lately...

Played in a 20-some man game the other night. I was holding my own, not quite the short stack, but a bit below average. On a whim, I call my 9-5 pre-flop. Wasn't the worst hand of the night, and I was on the small blind.

Anyway, so the flop comes out, 5-9-K. Looky here! Max's flopped two pair! So of course, I bet into it, about half the pot. I get a caller - put him on the King, with a high kicker... Maybe he grabbed the 9 too?

Turn comes out to play - another 5! Boat! I come out with my same bet, he raises! What's he got? K-5? Nah, I have the other 5, the chances of that happening are slim. I think he's bluffing. I look at his stack - I have enough to cover, so I push all-in. He calls without hesitation! I'm screwed, right?

We flip over our cards.... My 5s full of nines, his, yep - Kings and Nines... I made the right call... His face blank. I'm still nervous. These hands never go well for me...

Sure enough, out pops another King on the river! What's Max to do, except congratuate the man on a good hand? Like I said, I had him covered, but not by much. I'm out before the blinds get back to me. Off to the pool table until game two...

Game two - same scenerio. I'm hanging around with some mediocre cards. Blinds go up, and I start bleeding, so I look for some paint to go all-in on. K-Q suited. Now's the time. Everyone folds except tall stack. He's been thinking I bluff frequently ever since he caught me trying to buy the pot with a busted straight. This might work in my favor!

Sure enough, he's calling. Cards flip - my K-Qc to his 6-5d. Life is good - but again, these hands never go well for me.

Flop is a K-7-2 rainbow. Finally, I catch a card! What's the odds of him catching runner-runner? Playing against me? Pretty darn good.

Next card is a 3. People start congratualting my effort to double up. I tell them it's not over yet! River card? Yep a 4. I'm done. It wasn't like I wasn't expecting it...

Oh well, that's why they call it Poker...

-Max
Who knew a Full House was so easily beat?
LA_Rounder
"Straight to the Ace"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the silverlake game, played saturday night, i went out just inside the cash bubble (at least!) on two tough hands:

- my AA was cracked by A-10 offsuit (i was better than 9-1), crippling me
- i was all in and ready to triple up when i'd flopped a set of 7s, but by the river, someone caught a gutshot straight and i was out

ugly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    drneau.com Forum Index -> Home Poker Topics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: