drneau.com Forum Index drneau.com
A discussion board for drneau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Repository Structure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    drneau.com Forum Index -> Development and Release News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: Repository Structure Reply with quote

Work on release 3 is progressing.

I started by working on the repository structure. Everything will be stored in the repository, and thus can easily be moved from computer to computer. The repository structure contains the following:
- An "Audios" directory. All audios used in the app must live here.
- A "Chip Designs" directory (you'll be able to design your own chips in v3). There will be one chip design per file.
- A "Components" directory to contain all reusable tournament components. There will be one component per file.
- A "Consoles" directory. These files will contain individual screen definitions (rather than a file that contains multiple definitions like in v2). They can they be reused among...
- A "Console Configurations" directory. A Console Configuration will define which Consoles are used for Play, Post, Break and Pre, as well as the c1..c10 settings. One Configuration per file.
- An "HTML Preferences" directory. I'm splitting the HTML Prefs out from the App Preferences so you can save and load different HTML configurations...
- An "Images" directory. All images used in the app must live here.
- A "League Formulas" directory. One formula per file.
- A "League" directory. One league per file.
- A "PlayerDBs" directory. You can have multiple player DBs.
- A "Tournaments" directory.

When you start the app, DrNTM3 will check for the pointer to the repository. If it doesn't exist, you will then be prompted to either browse to an existing repository (which becomes the default for next time) or create a new one.
http://home.comcast.net/~jneau

Last edited by drneau on Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:51 am; edited 1 time in total
MaxPower
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this a lot!

Max

Anyone hear TD shaking from fear?
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaxPower wrote:
I like this a lot!

Max

Anyone hear TD shaking from fear?

Which is part of the reason this thread is private to members only...anyone notice that TD2.0 smells a lot like my product?

Of course, every idea I had for my initial product was completely original! Laughing

The things I feel I came up with and are now appearing in other products do bug me a bit, but what are you going to do...
jumperjeff
"Miracle Flush"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TD may have some similar features, but the implementation of those features are NOT as well put together as DrTM. Without question, yours is the better product.

Still don't like the subscription based license, but like you said, "What are you going to do..." Smile
LA_Rounder
"Straight to the Ace"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to make sure i'm clear on this, you're planning for release 3 to live in and operate from any directory or mobile disk (flash drive, ipod, etc.), right?

one current limitation with TM is that the software and its prefs cannot be moved very easily. it would be ideal if, for example, the application always stored its prefs, prefs files location, and everything else incidental to the ap in the same place, and looked for it there every time.

my understanding is that's how it's going to work, so sorry if it's been covered. for me the ideal is as follows: i am able to keep 50-60MB free on my flash drive, which will hold TM and all of its assorted audio files and pics, leagues, results, and basically everything else currently stored on my computer incidental to TM.

then, no matter where i plug the drive in, i can use it as the TM disk, and TM knows to find all of its components on the drive. it never has to use the host computer's drive to store anything and can move from machine to machine, place to place. is this the plan?
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LA_Rounder wrote:
just to make sure i'm clear on this, you're planning for release 3 to live in and operate from any directory or mobile disk (flash drive, ipod, etc.), right?

one current limitation with TM is that the software and its prefs cannot be moved very easily. it would be ideal if, for example, the application always stored its prefs, prefs files location, and everything else incidental to the ap in the same place, and looked for it there every time.

my understanding is that's how it's going to work, so sorry if it's been covered. for me the ideal is as follows: i am able to keep 50-60MB free on my flash drive, which will hold TM and all of its assorted audio files and pics, leagues, results, and basically everything else currently stored on my computer incidental to TM.

then, no matter where i plug the drive in, i can use it as the TM disk, and TM knows to find all of its components on the drive. it never has to use the host computer's drive to store anything and can move from machine to machine, place to place. is this the plan?

Here's the way it works:
- You start the app.
- The app checks for a known file (something like "DrNeauRepoLoc") in a known location (your home directory). That file contains only the location of the repository that should be the default. That is the *only* file that will be located on your host drive if you want. If the file gets blown away, it doesn't really matter...the file only serves one small purpose (read on).
- If the file exists, the app reads the contents and uses it at the default repository. If the file doesn't exist, the app has no default repository.
- On the very first screen that comes up, you are prompted for a repository location to use. If the file existed, then the default is already listed and you just have to hit "enter". If there is no default, then you either navigate to your repository (in which case it becomes the default for next time) or you create a new one (in which case it becomes the default for next time).

The repository contains everything you need. You can move it to another machine, a flash drive...whatever. All you have to do is point to it next time you start.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    drneau.com Forum Index -> Development and Release News All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: