drneau.com Forum Index drneau.com
A discussion board for drneau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Player Who Couldn't Fold (two sick hands)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LA_Rounder
"Straight to the Ace"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: The Player Who Couldn't Fold (two sick hands) Reply with quote

first hand of a home tournament yesterday. i'm MP and look down at 8c5c. i have a tight reputation that gets people to fold sometimes even if i limp. so, i limp. it folds around to the SB, who min-raises. he's not a very good player and i know if i hit this flop i'll get a lot of his money, so i call.

flop: 8 5 3, two hearts. he overbets the pot and i move in instantly. after hemming and hawing for about 3 minutes (i'd taken a huge pot off this player under similar circumstances only about three weeks before when my set beat his two pair on the 2nd hand of the tournament), he calls, showing A-8 off.

this guy can't fold a hand!

all i have to do is dodge an ace, and i've doubled up on the first hand.

turn: A

ok. that was unlucky, but i guess i could hit a miracle 5, right?

river: A

ouch. rebuy!

one or two levels later. having played very aggressively with marginal holdings, i'd been pushing the table around and have run my stack up to about 1.5x the starting (in my case, rebuy) amount. in light of this, in EP i see that i hold AQo and just limp. this time there are three players to the flop.

flop: A 8 3 rainbow. i know i have the best hand so when it checks around to me i bet about 2/3 the pot, not wanting anyone to get the right price to hit some weird two pair combo, but more importantly making it look like a steal attempt. it folds around to the same player as before, and i'm licking my chops since i know i have him beat. of course, he calls. remember, this guy can't fold a hand!

turn: Q.

he is first to act and he bets the pot, maybe 300. i think, then raise to 800 and he calls. i'm wondering how much he'll pay me off for on the river. there's no way he has a set of queens; it would be blatantly obvious. keep in mind, this guy can't fold a hand!

river: 8

he stares at the river, looks at his chips, then checks. i am now acutely aware that he has just hit his two-outer with Q8 and i check behind. i announce as much to the table, then turn over my hand. he shows Q8 and wins a pretty sizeable pot for that point in the tournament.

this guy can't fold a hand!

-----------------------------------------------

eventually, i went out on another bad beat to this same player, then another guy (one of the better players in the game) also went out when his 3s full of tens got outdrawn by the same guy's A10. another ace on the river? this guy can't fold a hand!

not surprisingly, even though the guy at that point had amassed something like 1/2 the chips in play with about 3/4 the field remaining, he finished nowhere near the money. unbelievable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    drneau.com Forum Index -> Home Poker Topics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: