drneau.com Forum Index drneau.com
A discussion board for drneau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hellmuth and the 2005 Main Event

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Hellmuth and the 2005 Main Event Reply with quote

Nice meltdown Phil. What an ass.

Anyone see that?

God, that was entertaining. I can't believe that guy didn't slug Phil. But my favorite was when Phil flashes his cards to someone and someone else asks to see them. "Don't you know it's bad etiquette to ask to see someone's cards, buddy? Ask the other 9 of the top 10 players and they'll all say the same thing." Ass. Entertaining ass, though. I'd like to see him make the final table every year just because his assness makes it so fun to watch.

In fact, my dream WSOP final table:
- Hellmuth
- Matusow
- Raymer (to get under Matusow's skin)
- Phil Gordon (I think he gets under Hellmuth's skin since Aruba)
- Annie Duke (also gets under Hellmuth's skin)
- Howard (got the brother/sister thing going)
- Some internet guy who "doesn't know how to play"
- Jennifer Tilly, and she eliminates Annie Duke
- The Flying Dutchman

I saw Paul Macgriel (aka "X-22", the guy who eliminated Hellmuth) while I was playing at the Mirage in Vegas last January. He made the final table in the Mirage's nightly unlimited rebuy all-in fest. The table was taking a break and this weirdo walks by with his tongue going from ear to ear. I said, "What's with THAT guy". Someone whispered, "That's X-22! Quack Quack". http://www.homepokergames.com/malgriel.php
http://home.comcast.net/~jneau
5thStreetPokerParties.com
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you have to admit, that guy is good! During that same episode he made one of the best laydowns I've ever seen.

I believe he had AK with A44 on the board. His heads-up opponent made a full house with A4. There might have been a K on the board as well giving Phil 2 pair... I don't remember. Either way...

That's a pretty good dream table, the only change I would make is adding myself to the table... sitting next to Jennifer Tilly (or replace with Shannon Elizabeth).
rastapete
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was easily the most entertaining WSOP 2005 episode so far. Phil is such a hoot!

About his laydowns, in general, Phil is known to lay down hands more readily than most pros. It stands to reason that by sheer randomness some of those laydowns will seem miraculous, looked at on their own.

Having said that, I thought the guy who had the Aces full was just so reeking of strength by how he came alive, chatting it up, leaning forward all animated.

I know it's easy when you see the hole cards, but I thought he did everything but tell Phil out loud that he had him beat.
Dix
"Royal Flush - No Hat"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Flying Dutchman" AKA: Marcel Luske, is fast becoming one of my favorite players to watch... the guy is an absolute riot... I'd love to play at the same table as him just for the entertainment value alone... LOL Very Happy

Tilting Phil Hellmuth might be Phil Gordon's (or anyone else's for that matter) favorite pastime. Rumor has it (if you want to believe Rafe) that Hellmuth tilt-hemmoraged about $3000 at a "Tiltboys" $1-$2 limit home game.

Phil (Gordon) writes poker tips articles for ESPN.com. In a recent article on "pot odds" he offers up the following...

Quote:

The pot has $20 in it and Phil Hellmuth goes all-in for $30.

1) What are your pot odds?

Pot Odds = (P+B) to B
Pot Odds = ($20+$30) to $30
Pot Odds = $50 to $30
Pot Odds = 5 to 3

2) What is your break-even percentage?

BEP = B divided by (P+B+B)
BEP = $30 divided by ($20+$30+$30)
BEP = $30 divided by $80
BEP = 3 divided by 8
BEP = 37.5 percent

Bonus: How many expletives will Phil utter if you suck out and bust him?

Can't you hear it now? "*$@#&*#@! If there wasn't luck in poker, I'd win every tournament. … How could you call my all-in bet with that flush draw!"

Your retort: "Phil, I only needed a 37.5 percent chance to win and with my flush draw I was actually about 35 percent to make my hand. Factor in the implied tilt odds of seeing you throw a chair and make an ass of yourself on national television, and this was a really easy call."

(For a complete explanation of implied tilt odds, see www.tiltboys.com or the book "Tales From the Tiltboys.")

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with you on Luske, Dix. "Kings are good" (his line as he laid down AQ (I think?) to a reraise preflop at the 2004 WSOP ME) has become a part of my poker lexicon. His opponent was holding KK. He hadn't shown his hand.

Back to Helmuth - I recommend highly the audio archives of Cardplayer.com's WSOP final table commentary. I know it's 9 hours or whatever long, but it is very instructive and often entertaining, and Phil, who was probably on air more than anyone else, is really a treat to listen to as he shares his reads of what is going on without benefit of hole card cameras.
rastapete
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was me.

Anonymous wrote:
Agree with you on Luske, Dix. "Kings are good" (his line as he laid down AQ (I think?) to a reraise preflop at the 2004 WSOP ME) has become a part of my poker lexicon. His opponent was holding KK. He hadn't shown his hand.

Back to Helmuth - I recommend highly the audio archives of Cardplayer.com's WSOP final table commentary. I know it's 9 hours or whatever long, but it is very instructive and often entertaining, and Phil, who was probably on air more than anyone else, is really a treat to listen to as he shares his reads of what is going on without benefit of hole card cameras.
MaxPower
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"This guy can't even spell 'Poker'!"

He's a hoot - but a sorry arse. I was waiting for that guy to cold cock him one. He kept saying things like "ain't it a bitch?" and stuff like that. Then he cracked a smile when the Mouth ran to his mommy, er, wife for consolation. What a pussy. Then he has the nerve to tell everyone that it's all for show. Whatever - this guy never grew up...

-Max

But he's rich! Rich I tell ya! I wanna be like him.
Dix
"Royal Flush - No Hat"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaxPower wrote:
...when the Mouth ran to his mommy, er, wife for consolation.

I'll give Hellmuth one thing.... he had brains enough to marry a psychiatrist... that move will likely save him millions over the course of his lifetime. Very Happy

And for putting up with him... The woman should qualify for sainthood.
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:

I listened to the final table webcast after I got up in the morning. He did predict what a player was holding in a crucial situation at least once that I remember. It was a bit freaky.
http://home.comcast.net/~jneau
Post new topic   Reply to topic    drneau.com Forum Index -> Potpourri All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: