drneau.com Forum Index drneau.com
A discussion board for drneau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beef up player database.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    drneau.com Forum Index -> The v2 Bucket
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rewind
"Miracle Flush"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Beef up player database. Reply with quote

It just hit me now how I should be using the player database. So I'm an idiot, but an idiot with an idea.

Right now the players can be loaded into a tournament and then the tournament can be loaded into the league. Now if I need to make a change to a game from three months ago because a name is spelled wrong (the umlaut was over the wrong e), I have to open that tournament file, rename the person, re-export the html summary for the website, and then either remove and re-add the game to the league or combine the player with the new spelling of the same player.

What if it was possible that the player database was the only place the players were kept. Then all I would have to do is make the change to the player's name once and if I was to re-load the old game the player's name would already change. When I look in the league, the player's name would change.

This would be great if I switch to a system where I go to last name first as I would only have to make minor changes instead of trying to rework all old tournaments. Any minor changes would automatically be pulled from the player database.

Of course this means assigning players each a unique ID (which it looks like they already are) and then making updates to that ID.

Ok, so it's a long winded thought but it would be a nice function in the future.
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Beef up player database. Reply with quote

Rewind wrote:
It just hit me now how I should be using the player database. So I'm an idiot, but an idiot with an idea.

Right now the players can be loaded into a tournament and then the tournament can be loaded into the league. Now if I need to make a change to a game from three months ago because a name is spelled wrong (the umlaut was over the wrong e), I have to open that tournament file, rename the person, re-export the html summary for the website, and then either remove and re-add the game to the league or combine the player with the new spelling of the same player.

What if it was possible that the player database was the only place the players were kept. Then all I would have to do is make the change to the player's name once and if I was to re-load the old game the player's name would already change. When I look in the league, the player's name would change.

This would be great if I switch to a system where I go to last name first as I would only have to make minor changes instead of trying to rework all old tournaments. Any minor changes would automatically be pulled from the player database.

Of course this means assigning players each a unique ID (which it looks like they already are) and then making updates to that ID.

Ok, so it's a long winded thought but it would be a nice function in the future.

Well...

Coming soon you'll be able to:
- Modify tournaments that are saved as part of a league.
- Run a tournament from within a league.

Essentially you'll be able to use the tool in 2 modes versus the one.

Mode #1: "I don't care about leagues"

In mode #1, you create a tournament, run it and save it. You may later add it to a league. This is how the tool works today. This mode needs to be preserved because it is how a lot of people use the app.

Mode #2: "I'm trying to run a league!!"

In mode #2, you'd be able to create a league, plan all the tournaments in advance, edit any of them whenever you want, run any of them by making one of the tournaments within the league "active", etc. In this mode, the league and all of its tournaments would be saved in one file.

The league itself will be getting more functionality. Right now, it is just a ranking system. You'll see it morph into more of a league management system over time. You'll see more league console attributes and parameters that can be pulled from the league. You'll see league-specific console messages (similar to the new core/tournaement/console categories for terms/rules/etc I am starting to add). You'll be able to send emails from with a league or tournament to everyone involved with results, so on and so on.

Of course, I could just be enticing you to keep paying...
http://home.comcast.net/~jneau
Rewind
"Miracle Flush"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your response was supposed to go into my other idea with the leagues instead of this thread with the player database idea.

And I told the trademark people to send the checks to you but I don't think signatures in forums bring in a whole lot.
boschie
"A Set of Mop Squeezers"

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Also waiting Reply with quote

I'd really like to see this implemented...
In my league there also been a couple of names wrong and i have to change al 9 former tournaments to get it right.

So, please hurry with V3 and this mode #2... Smile

GRTZ,
boschie
i8dbear
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, actually... no.

If a player is mispelled in, say 9 tourneys, all you have to do is correct it in one. then go into the players tab in the league section. There you will see the names of all the players in all the tournaments in the league. You have the option to combine the names of players who appear. Select all interations of the player in question and tell the app to combine them. You will get a pull down menu that will allow you to choose the spelling you wish to use. Select the correct one and all the tourney info will be transferred to this single listing.
boschie
"A Set of Mop Squeezers"

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thanks for the tip. Works like a charme.

GRTZ,
boschie
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Implemented in v3. Moving topic.
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Implemented in v3. Moving topic.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    drneau.com Forum Index -> The v2 Bucket All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: