drneau.com Forum Index drneau.com
A discussion board for drneau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Caro's Book of Poker Tells

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Caro's Book of Poker Tells Reply with quote

This one is a pretty good read...but the pictures need to be updated.

Caro explains a few dozen tells and the reasoning behind them. In general, weak=strong and strong=weak.

Probably the most useful tell I picked up from this book: When the flop comes down...if someone looks at it and then quickly glances away, that usually means it helped them. If they stare at it, that usually means it didn't help them. That tell alone has paid for the book.

The other valuable things I learned:
- Do not look at your cards until it is your turn.
- Don't look at the board as it is layed out...look at the others and how they react to it.

Doesn't help with online poker, though.

This book has actually helped me pick up a few tells that weren't in it...just because I started looking for them more. For instance, my friend plays with a big coin as a chip protector. When he plays with the chip pre-flop, he's going to call. When he doesn't, he's going to fold.
http://home.comcast.net/~jneau
rastapete
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope he doesn't read this board.
5thStreetPokerParties.com
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which friend?
bratwurst
"A Set of Mop Squeezers"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have read a good portion of this book - the pictures are hilarious - definitely out of date.

Last night I was playing with some friends, one of which is somewhat inexperienced at the table but was getting a crazy rush of cards. I made a small call at the river at one point just to see if my read was accurate on him, based on what I had been reading in the Caro book. I knew I was beaten in the hand but I just wanted to validate what I thought I was reading. Caro had this guy pegged on multiple things, like excessive throat swallows, making a bet and then staring at the opponents chip stack if he wanted him to call, "never call a man with shaking hands", hands covering the mouth, stuff like that.

Overall, this could be a very profittable read for a lot of players. Not only for what to watch in other players, but to make sure you don't do it in your own game.

And I agree with the Doc about not looking at your cards out of turn. In the games I play in, people are very bad about this. Even if I am in early position a lot of times I know who is going to play their cards and who is going to fold before I even see what I have.
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturday night in our home tournament. 4 players left. I'm the BB and the short stack.

Under the gun goes all-in. Other two players fold.

I'm holding A-6 offsuit. The BB was already 1/4 of my stack. I start thinking about what to do and start moving my chips around.

The other player takes notice of what I'm doing and turns to *stare* at me. First thing that jumps into my head: He's trying to act strong & doesn't want me to call.

I call. He has pocket 3's.

I ended up losing the hand, but it was a good read!
http://home.comcast.net/~jneau
MaxPower
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally broke down and bought this book - I'm tired of my pocket J's being beatin by a last minute straight, or folding my 8's when the guy across from me is bluffing with a 3-7.

I can't wait to use Caro's insights at the next game. I'm going to make a rule for myself that I never, ever look at my hand until it's my turn again!!!

-Max

All I have to say is that the early eighties were a bad time for poker fashion! ("The player in the foreground strokes his mutton chops while contemplating his bet. The man to the right of him begins to fondle his watch pocket f his polyester suit vest. Would you call this man???" Classic.)
Dix
"Royal Flush - No Hat"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one guy I play against that is so easy it's pathetic....

When contemplating what to do if you have to act before him... act as though you are counting out a bet with your chips and watch him out of the corner of your eye...

If he then places his hand on his cards he's folding... if he places his hand near his chips he's calling. Very Happy
Mikee
"Ace High"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Good companion to this book: Reply with quote

http://www.poker1.com/mcu/mculib_video.asp

This site has video's that do a MUCH better job of highlighting the tell than you can ever get out of a 30-year-old black-n-white photo in a book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    drneau.com Forum Index -> Potpourri All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: