drneau.com Forum Index drneau.com
A discussion board for drneau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Doc places 8th at April Canterbury Limit Tournament

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Doc places 8th at April Canterbury Limit Tournament Reply with quote

Tournament started at 7:30 with 132 players. I was kind flustered at the beginning...wasn't feeling very confident. Had a few older guys at my table that had been around the block a few times and felt like they were looking at me like I was some little punk. Lost the first two hands I played in. Wasn't feeling great. Then I won a hand. The older guys proved to be vulnerable. I loosened up and started making some conversation.

I was keeping an eye on how many players were left and what the average stack was. Figured as long as I was hanging around average I was doing okay.

Our table was the first to break down. I got moved to table 7 and had about T1,500 in chips at this point. The first hand I played was against this intimidating bald black guy (BBG). Couldn't tell if he was staring me down or looking at the TV. I tried bluffing him but he wouldn't have it. Lost a little on that hand. On the next hand, BBG made what was probably the best call I've ever seen. The guy to my right was trying to bluff with Jack high. A lot of money in the pot. BBG stares him down and wins with Queen high. A few hands later I got pocket queens and raised. BBG raises and I call. Flop is a rainbow 2 4 8. I bet. BBG calls. Turn is an A. I bet. BBG calls. I'm not feeling good now. River is a 10. I bet. BBG stares me down and folds his 7s. Yay. I'm up to about T3000 now. A few hands later, BBG is eliminated.

Then that table breaks down and I'm moved to table 2. About 60 players left at this point. Table 2 goes well. By the time we're down to 25 players I've got about T5,500 which is around average. Then I get moved to table 1. I get killed at table 1...a couple cocky chip leaders. Blinds are now at 1,000-2,000. I keep getting crap as the blind approaches. Just as I'm about to have to pay the big blind and be forced to go all-in, they pull me from table 1 and move me back to table 2. 18 players left. I'm a hand or two in front of the BB now. Fold. Under the gun, I get big slick. All-in. BB calls and I win! I win again a few hands later with pocket 8's. Now I'm up to T10,000. 11 players left. Finally, we knock out #11 and we're down to the final table.

They deal for position on the new table and I luck out and get the seat that has the SB first...that means I have 9 hands before the BB gets to me! You'd think someone will go out before that happens... Although 9 spots are paid, we make a deal so that everyone contributes $20 to the tenth-place finisher. That means I've at least made $60 over my entry fee.

By the time the BB gets to me, one player has been knocked out and I've got T8000 left. BB is T4000 so I have T4000 left. Everyone folds except the SB who raises me. I look down and see the one hand I didn't want to see...7-2 off-suit. So, the big question. Do I call with a small chance of doubling up? Or do I fold and live another day. I fold, thinking worst case I can sit through 10 more hands and see what happens. Every hand is mediocre from that point on. I get pocket 2's once, but if anyone calls I'm at best 50-50. I fold that. Another players goes out. BB gets to me again, I'm forced all-in with A-5 offsuit (not terrible). I'm beaten by a pair of 8's.

I finish in 8th place and take home $508. (Minus the $120 entry fee).
http://home.comcast.net/~jneau

Last edited by drneau on Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
5thStreetPokerParties.com
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Nice Work Reply with quote

Those are tough tournaments with extremely tight payout structures and those blinds go up super fast at the end... Nice Work Jeff!
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a lot of fun at the final table with 30 people standing around watching. People complained when I showed my folded 7-2, "C'mon, make it interesting!!"
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW. They use the "Poker Clock" at Canterbury. What a piece of crap.
MaxPower
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you tell them about Dr. Neau's wonder elixer?

-Max
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was interesting was that they appeared to be using a remote control to start and stop the clock...
Rewind
"Miracle Flush"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't even think of that. Anyone here have one of those remotes for your computer that you can program functions like alt-q or something?

In theory, you could program one of those for start / stop clock and maybe a lot of other functions (elimination if you could use a up down button).

This wouldn't even require reprograming of the wonderful doctor's software (unless to make a few functions accessable from one key combination).

Anyone? Anyone?
unyostun
"Cowboys"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just use my wireless keyboard and mouse.
bigdaddy702
"A Set of Mop Squeezers"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to try a wireless setup but I was worried about the range. How far away from the computer can you get?
BUB
"Ace High"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My IR Keyboard goes over 20 feet... that's as long as my livingroom.
JBWilkins
"Twos full of Threes"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look around you probably can find one of those wireless presentation remotes....which would be handier than having a keyboard next to you.......some of them are RF also so they wouldn't have to have line of site to the computer....... My problem is I'm just unsing a laptop and my eyes aren't good enough to read who I am eliminating from 10' away.......
unyostun
"Cowboys"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluetooth goes well beyond anywhere I could go in my two bedroom apartment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    drneau.com Forum Index -> Potpourri All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: