drneau.com Forum Index drneau.com
A discussion board for drneau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newtorking questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muley05
"A Set of Mop Squeezers"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Newtorking questions Reply with quote

I will admit up front that I know next to nothing about computer networks, so these questions could be absurd and the terms could be way off.

At my home, we have a wireless modem. My wife uses her work laptop, I use my personal laptop, and I sometimes even use my work laptop off our signal. But none of the computers are "networked" as far as I know, meaning that while on my computer, I cannot access files on my wife's.

With the setup I have, how would I go about setting it up so that I could run TM on two laptops? Would I have to network the computers before running TM on multiple computers? Or can TM run off more than one laptop when the laptops are all connected to the same wireless signal?

We have Time Warner/RoadRunner as our internet provider, if that means anything...........
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If each computer in your house can get to the internet, then they are networked.

You should be all set.

Start the TM app on one system, go to the networking tab and start the network server. Write down the IP addresses that appear.

Start TM as a client on another system, go to the networking tab and attempt to connect to the server using the IP addresses you wrote down.
http://home.comcast.net/~jneau
pathand
"Miracle Flush"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds easy, but I'd like to ask a couple of related questions.

1. Does it matter that the computers(two) being used have different Host ID's?

2. I want my laptop to be used as the "clock operator". Does it matter which computer is the client?
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pathand wrote:

2. I want my laptop to be used as the "clock operator". Does it matter which computer is the client?

I only care about the host id of the "server". The clients don't need licenses at all.

The server needs to be the clock operator. The capabilities from the client are pretty limited at this point in time. The client can basically control which overlay is displayed on all hosts, but that's about it for now.
http://home.comcast.net/~jneau
pathand
"Miracle Flush"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drneau wrote:
pathand wrote:

I only care about the host id of the "server". The clients don't need licenses at all.

The server needs to be the clock operator. The capabilities from the client are pretty limited at this point in time. The client can basically control which overlay is displayed on all hosts, but that's about it for now.

Ok. I just need the client to be an added monitor, so the limited capabilities should not be an issue. My laptop will be the server from which I'll manage the tourney.

This is way better than I had imagined. No need to yell out levels, breaks, etc. Thanks Doc. It just keeps getting better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    drneau.com Forum Index -> Networking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: