drneau.com Forum Index drneau.com
A discussion board for drneau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using TM to track league stats & financials

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muley05
"A Set of Mop Squeezers"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Using TM to track league stats & financials Reply with quote

We are currently in the seventh season of our poker league, but this is the first time we have used TM to track the league.

I have stats and financials for all of the previous seasons, which for my purposes is basically how many times each player has finished in X position and how much profit/loss each player has from all league seasons.

My league is different that a lot of leagues out there. We always have 10 and only 10 players because we allow subs. The regular player gets the points earned by the sub, but the sub buys in and keeps the money should he cash. I know that is not ideal, but it is how we have done it from the beginning and it works for us.

I am wondering if TM could track stats like that. For instance, we have played four weeks this season. The buy in for each tourney is $20, so each player has spent $80 in buy ins so far. Some players have made money so far, and some have lost money. I cannot see where TM shows the financials for each player. Using myself as an example, I have finished in third place twice (earning $40 each time) and finished in 5th and 6th respectively the other two times. Therefore, under my financials for this season, I would be even in money. And should there be something to track finishes, I would have 2 3rds, a 5th, and a 6th

The reason I am asking is that I am considering putting all of our past seasons in TM by running “dummy” tourneys and leagues, so that all the stats are accurate for each player from the beginning. I have all of this info in Excel, and I know that it would not take a lott of effort to re-create the tourneys and leagues in TM. Then I would have a one stop place to see our league history, and could put it on my website. For me, I would only need for it to show total profit/loss and each time a player finished in X position. But other users might have other stats they would want to track, such as KOs, etc.
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting (Muley sent this to me and I asked him to post it so we could start a convo).

The data is all in the app, now it's just a matter of creating the reports.

Question: What type of reports do you want to see? beta4.7 will focus on reporting (4.7 is the next beta...4.6 will be out this week). I've already got a lot of reports in mind, but I'd like to know what else you want.

The sub thing is a little weird, though. You'll have to make the choice of either the player's points not showing up or the sub using the same name as the player.
http://home.comcast.net/~jneau
Muley05
"A Set of Mop Squeezers"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that my sub thing is weird. But I think I will be able to work around that. Here's what I am thinking:

First, I personally don't care about tracking points. We have used 3 different points systems over the course of our league seasons anyway, so it would be all messed up.

However, the points do affect how the regular player finished in the overall league standings. Perhaps I would be able to modify the overall league standings without modifying tournaments. For example, let's say that John had to miss a game during Season 3. Bill subbed for John and came in 4th place, earning 7 points. John's total points for Season 3 was 58 points, but that total includes the 7 points Bill earned. If I could modify only the overall league standings, while leaving the tournament resutls alone, that would solve my issue. Bill wouldn't show up in the overall league standings anyway, the only players I would want to show in the league standings are the regular league players.

And then for tracking all time finishes, John would have 7 games played in Season 3. Bill would have 1 game played.

Hopefully this makes sense. I know my league is strange in how we deal with subs.

Long story short, the reports I would want to see would be a report that shows the number of times each player finished in each position and profit/loss over all seasons. We also pay an amount equal to two tourney buy ins as a league fee, and that money gets distributed over the top three points earners for the season. So a way to track that in the reports would be good as well.
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Now that beta 4.6 is out, my focus turns to beta 4.7 which will have reporting as one of its primary goals. I'm still.figuring out the reporting package that I'm using...
anoamas321
"Cowboys"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really like this idea, if this i got working something else you could do is set it up so that player can enter how much money they have to spend on poker over the season, and the program flags up a warning if a buy-in/ rebuy/add on would casue that blance to go below 0. this would help people that are not very good with money from loosing to much
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anoamas321 wrote:
i really like this idea, if this i got working something else you could do is set it up so that player can enter how much money they have to spend on poker over the season, and the program flags up a warning if a buy-in/ rebuy/add on would casue that blance to go below 0. this would help people that are not very good with money from loosing to much

Yeah, I won't be incorporating a function that serves as a financial nanny. Wink
anoamas321
"Cowboys"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok fine, i just thaught i would be quite easy to do, and i would find it quite usful since i play with some people who play daily and can eaisly spend more money than they relised(as much as twice as much), also it could be used to run a 'play money' league that would be really good for me as i know loads of people that like the game but dont want to play for real money all the time becase they cant afford to loose
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have the ability to track financials now.

If there's a report that can give you the detail you're looking for, then I'm all for that.

But I won't be adding a "financial cut-off" field.
anoamas321
"Cowboys"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, if there is cool, how would i do that then and what could i track for example could i list the net gain of every player in order
Post new topic   Reply to topic    drneau.com Forum Index -> Leagues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: