drneau.com Forum Index drneau.com
A discussion board for drneau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Home stretch for v3 beta 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    drneau.com Forum Index -> Development and Release News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Home stretch for v3 beta 3 Reply with quote

I've had some breakthroughs in the last couple days and wanted to share.

I've been struggling a lot with how to make controlling player status/proprties easier will still keeping things logical. Got it all worked out. I talked about this a little in the other thread, but I'll explain it all in a little more detail.

Changing a player's status
Normal operations for changing a player's status are "purchase buy-in" (for listed->active), "eliminate" (for active->eliminated) and "purchase rebuy" (for elimnated-> active).

The chip purchases update player state appropriately, increment the player's stack, add the appropriate chip purchase to the player and add an associated item to the history log. The purchase has a date and level associated with it, but it's only for historical purposes (not used to determine player state). The history item is also directly linked to the purchase...so that if the purchase changes the history item is updated.

Eliminations add the appropriate knockout information to the knockout log, set player status to eliminated, set player stack to 0 and add an associated item to history. The knockouts have an associated level and timestamp, but that's only for reference. What *really* matters about the knockouts is their relative order. The history item is directly related to the knockout.

OK, I need to correct a mistake! What do I do?
This is where v3 will shine, and it's what I've been working on. I'll break it down by scenario...

Need to undo a buy-in.
You bought someone in and they didn't show. Shame shame.
Now, you'll just bring up their properties and click the "Relist" button. (This is now considered something you might do in the normal course of operations) That will set their state back to "listed", remove all of their chip purchases and all the associated chip purchase history items.
Note: This is only possible if the player is not listed as an eliminator on a knockout. If that's the case, then you need to edit the eliminations first.

Recorded the wrong person as an eliminator.
Just edit the elimination and change the eliminator(s). All knockouts are updated immediately (and all bounties will be updated immediately).

Recorded eliminations in the wrong order.
Just go to the knockout log and move eliminations up/down/into ties/out of ties as needed. Note that you may also want to adjust the standings, and that's something you can do easily also.

Need to undo an elimination.
Manually change the player's status from eliminated to active and remove the elimination from the knockout log.

Purchased the wrong buy-in/add-on/rebuy.
Bring up the player's properties and edit the chip purchase to select the correct one.

This is going to be slick. The tying history directly to chip purchases and eliminations was key for this to work...it helps ensure history better reflects reality without requiring that history BE reality.

Other operations
You'll be able to manually add add-on and rebuy purchases to a player at any time.
You'll be able to manually add knockout records at any time.

These aren't preferred operations, mind you...but might be necessary if you *really* messed things up. When you add them, they'll be added to the end of history/end of the log and you can set their order/timestamps as you see fit.

You *won't* be able to manually add or remove buy-ins. For that, you'll either need to buy a player in or relist them.
http://home.comcast.net/~jneau
Post new topic   Reply to topic    drneau.com Forum Index -> Development and Release News All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: