drneau.com Forum Index drneau.com
A discussion board for drneau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

App Crashed!! Blessing in disguise? Blasphemy!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clay
Loser
Loser

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: App Crashed!! Blessing in disguise? Blasphemy!! Reply with quote

Last friday by beloved TM crashed on me right before game time. I'm pretty sure it was my hard drives fault and not the app.
This may have turned out to be a blessing in disguise! Why prey tell you might ask?
Well with TM down I had to think fast to get the game going. Here is what I did.
I have a 32 person tourney with 4 tables.

1) Instead of using TM to seat players I did it the old fashoned way. They drew cards. Worked just fine.
2) Instead of using TM to move players between tables I ran a SHOOT OUT tourney whereby each table played down to 2. That gave me 8 players for the final table. This went very well. I wasn't bothered with having to move people around. When a table got to 2 they just stopped and waited for the others. The tourney didn't run any longer than usual.
3) Instead of tracking when people get eliminated in TM (and having to do it my self cause people don't understand the interface and screw it up every damn time) I just had them sign a sheet of paper when they got elinimated. Even a moron can sign their name. Again this was less for me to do.

I have to say these changes made the tourney run very smooth. So much so that I'm wondering now if I even need to track all this crazy stuff in TM.
People love the league and seeing online how many points they get so I'll probably always use TM for that.
I don't know, its something to ponder.

Anyone else have experiences running a SHOOT OUT event? Personally I kind of liked it.

-Clay
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: App Crashed!! Blessing in disguise? Blasphemy!! Reply with quote

clay wrote:
Last friday by beloved TM crashed on me right before game time. I'm pretty sure it was my hard drives fault and not the app.
This may have turned out to be a blessing in disguise! Why prey tell you might ask?
Well with TM down I had to think fast to get the game going. Here is what I did.
I have a 32 person tourney with 4 tables.

1) Instead of using TM to seat players I did it the old fashoned way. They drew cards. Worked just fine.
2) Instead of using TM to move players between tables I ran a SHOOT OUT tourney whereby each table played down to 2. That gave me 8 players for the final table. This went very well. I wasn't bothered with having to move people around. When a table got to 2 they just stopped and waited for the others. The tourney didn't run any longer than usual.
3) Instead of tracking when people get eliminated in TM (and having to do it my self cause people don't understand the interface and screw it up every damn time) I just had them sign a sheet of paper when they got elinimated. Even a moron can sign their name. Again this was less for me to do.

I have to say these changes made the tourney run very smooth. So much so that I'm wondering now if I even need to track all this crazy stuff in TM.
People love the league and seeing online how many points they get so I'll probably always use TM for that.
I don't know, its something to ponder.

Anyone else have experiences running a SHOOT OUT event? Personally I kind of liked it.

-Clay

Which is why v3 will support them.
http://home.comcast.net/~jneau
Altimate_One
"Cowboys"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when is v3 expected to come out?

I enjoy the shootouts and never even thought of hosting one until just now. I wish FT would add shootous to the site. Maybe in the future.
Calendyr
"Miracle Flush"

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a poker club. We have tourneys 4 times a week.

I use a sheet where people sign as well for eliminations. Tracking it in the software is a waste of time... you need to register people in the software then eliminate them... a very time consuming task that is not any better than people signing their name on a sheet of paper.

As for shoot out, people don't usually like them because it's much harder to make the final table. If your group likes it, great because you don't have to do table balancing and you might be able to actually play the tournament without being disturbed every 5 mins. Shoot outs are usually faster to play than normal tournaments since eliminations occur faster at short tables. On the other hand if you have one table that just won't die it can even things out.

I am eager to see what the v3 of TM will do for leagues. I am not using any part of it for leagues right now because it's not flexible enough and it doesn't offer what I need. I really hope next version will allow for exports to spreadsheets and more powerful database features.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    drneau.com Forum Index -> Stories All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: