drneau.com Forum Index drneau.com
A discussion board for drneau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Somewhat unconventional blinds?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pfapfap
"A Set of Mop Squeezers"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: Somewhat unconventional blinds? Reply with quote

I have several fast-n-loose players in my tournaments, and also several newer players. As such, I wanted a structure that would (a) allow for the most people to play the longest, (b) encourage a lot of action early on to build the prize pool, and (c) not have too many chip colors.

I prefer $20 over $25 chips, since you don't carry around $25 bills in your wallet, and so keeping it at $20 maintains the illusion. I don't want to use anything lower, cuz just too much coloring up. I also don't have enough chips for both that and running a side cash game.

After a few weeks of trials, I came up with something that seems to work and that most people like and that still ends at a reasonable time.

Start with T2000. RB gets T2000 more. AO is T3000.

R1 - 25m - 20/20 - unlimited RB
R2 - 25m - 20/40 - unlimited RB
Break
R3 - 25m - 40/80 - unlimited RB
R4 - 25m - 60/120 - unlimited RB

After R4, rebuys end and add-ons are available.

R5 - 25m - 20/100/200
R6 - 25m - 40/200/400
Break
R7 - 25m - 100/400/800
R8 - 25m - 300/800/1600
Break
R9 - 20m - 500/1500/3000
R10 - 20m - 1000/2500/5000
...and then it just doubles from then on up, if we're still playing

We start at 7:15pm and the winners are usually done by 1am. Cash games tend to run 'til 4 or 5am. I like it to feel like a cash game for the first couple of hours, hence the low blinds and unlimited rebuys. I also don't want newer players to show up and then be done after an hour. The more fun they have, the more likely they are to return. It does get a little steep in the middle, but people need to know how to shift gears. So far eliminations seem to be fairly evenly spread out, and it ends pretty much exactly when I want it to.

Thoughts? It was a bit difficult trying to get a good balance of everything, while not using $25 or $5 chips, and also allowing for coloring up during breaks. It's worked for me, and another group has decided to use it for their upcoming tournament. I have gotten a mild bit of criticism, but only from negative nellies who complain about everything. Smile Ideally I'd love to have deep stacks and hour long rounds and more gradual increase, but these things need to end sometime.

-p.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    drneau.com Forum Index -> Home Poker Topics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: