drneau.com Forum Index drneau.com
A discussion board for drneau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just did my first ranking system with the software

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    drneau.com Forum Index -> The v2 Bucket
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bratwurst
"A Set of Mop Squeezers"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Just did my first ranking system with the software Reply with quote

I'm trying to get TM to use the ranking system in place at a tournament series I have been going to.

Here are the specs of the system that the host has in place:
1) Points are accumulated each tournament towards the final tournament, where your chip count is a multiplier of points earned.
2) winner is given points based on multipling 1.5 x buyin number
3) final table (8 players) are awarded points on order of finish
4) all others are awarded points based on how many people were in tournament - 8 (people who made final table).

Example, 12 entries. Winner gets 18 points. 2nd place gets 11, 3rd gets 10, 4th gets 9, etc. All those who do not make final table get 4 points. This setup isn't really my favorite but it is what the host likes and it has worked ok so far. I'm sitting in 4th so I can't complain too much.

One final note before the code, I really think a good enhancement would be a "test your formula" widget, so after writing this code I could actually throw some tests at it to make sure the formula is spitting out what I want it to. The one below is fairly simple but I could see more complex formulas being a real PITA to test by hand and brain power alone.

Here's the formula I came up with in TM:

Code:
score = if ( (a == 1.0)) then ((b * 1.5)) else if ((a >= 8.0)) then (((b + 1.0) - a)) else ((a - 8.0))

where

a = Player Finish
  b = Tournament Buy-in Count

Score accumulation method:        Total
Score weighting method:           Equal
Score decay rate:                 0.0
Score number format:              Integer
Minimum tournament participation: 0 tournaments

Thanks to Dix for the tutorial posted as a sticky in this forum.
bratwurst
"A Set of Mop Squeezers"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see an error after looking at my code, I have the > wrong in the then statement. Should be a <= 8, where I have a >= 8.

This is why I think a good enhancement would be a testing widget.
bratwurst
"A Set of Mop Squeezers"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK question on my formula, which is now changed to this:

score = if ( (a == 1.0)) then ((b * 1.5)) else if ((a <= 8.0)) then (((b + 1.0) - a)) else (((b - 8.0) / 2.0))

where

a = Player Finish

Is there a way where if the points are say, 14.5 or 16.5, etc, they always round up to the next integer? Currently I have a guy with 24.5 points and if it is set to Integer it rounds down to 24.
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bratwurst wrote:
OK question on my formula, which is now changed to this:

score = if ( (a == 1.0)) then ((b * 1.5)) else if ((a <= 8.0)) then (((b + 1.0) - a)) else (((b - 8.0) / 2.0))

where

a = Player Finish

Is there a way where if the points are say, 14.5 or 16.5, etc, they always round up to the next integer? Currently I have a guy with 24.5 points and if it is set to Integer it rounds down to 24.

It's there a "ROUND" function?
http://home.comcast.net/~jneau
bratwurst
"A Set of Mop Squeezers"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To follow up from a long time ago, since I just did a couple changes yesterday to this formula...

There was a ROUND function, but it dropped the .5 down. For example, 3.5 became 3.

So I tried using the CEILING function and it brought it up. 3.5 becomes 4.

I'm not sure if that is the way it is designed or if these are core JAVA functions. Kind of confusing.

Anyway, my formula now reads:
score = if ( (a == 1.0)) then (ceil((b * 1.5))) else if ((a <= 8.0)) then (((b + 1.0) - a)) else (ceil(((b - 8.0) / 2.0)))

where

a = Player Finish

Score accumulation method: Total
Score weighting method: Equal
Score decay rate: 0.0
Score number format: Integer
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bratwurst wrote:
To follow up from a long time ago, since I just did a couple changes yesterday to this formula...

There was a ROUND function, but it dropped the .5 down. For example, 3.5 became 3.

So I tried using the CEILING function and it brought it up. 3.5 becomes 4.

I'm not sure if that is the way it is designed or if these are core JAVA functions. Kind of confusing.

Anyway, my formula now reads:
score = if ( (a == 1.0)) then (ceil((b * 1.5))) else if ((a <= 8.0)) then (((b + 1.0) - a)) else (ceil(((b - 8.0) / 2.0)))

where

a = Player Finish

Score accumulation method: Total
Score weighting method: Equal
Score decay rate: 0.0
Score number format: Integer

It uses the Java round() function, which adds 0.5 to the number and returns the integer portion.

Are you sure you were rounding 3.5 and not 3.4999?
bratwurst
"A Set of Mop Squeezers"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so, but I'll run through the math to be sure

score = if ( (a == 1.0)) then (round((b * 1.5)))

a = Player Finish

if ((a==1) then (round((23*1.5))

15*1.5=22.5

22.5 should round up to 23. Using the formula above, its taking me down to 22 in the program.
bratwurst
"A Set of Mop Squeezers"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe there is an error somewhere in how I wrote the formula? because the end of my formula looks to be using ROUND normally. This is the final statement, where it says that for everyone who does not make the final table, the score is equal to the number of buys minus 8(final table number) divided by 2. This might be an order of operations difference.

else (round((b-8.0)/2)))

Showing my work here...

round((15-8)/2)
round(7/2)
round(3.5)
Dix
"Royal Flush - No Hat"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's something wierd going on in Java here... it's certainly not rounding correctly.

Just for giggles I took one of our 15 player tourneys and just did a (round(playerfinish/2)) on it

Code:
  score = round((a / 2.0))

where

a = Player Finish

Score number format:              Double

And here's the results.

15 = 8
13 = 6
11 = 6
9 = 4
7 = 4
5 = 2
3 = 2
1 = 0

While 1, 3, 7, 11, & 15 were rounded correctly, 5, 9, & 13 were not.

I tried a quick google search for java rounding errors but came up empty.
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dix wrote:
There's something wierd going on in Java here... it's certainly not rounding correctly.

Just for giggles I took one of our 15 player tourneys and just did a (round(playerfinish/2)) on it

Code:
  score = round((a / 2.0))

where

a = Player Finish

Score number format:              Double

And here's the results.

15 = 8
13 = 6
11 = 6
9 = 4
7 = 4
5 = 2
3 = 2
1 = 0

While 1, 3, 7, 11, & 15 were rounded correctly, 5, 9, & 13 were not.

I tried a quick google search for java rounding errors but came up empty.

Well, I took a quick look at the code.

Since I treat everything as "double" internally, I am using "rint" and not "round".

"rint" rounds to the closest integer and returns a double. However, if integers are equidistant, IT FAVOURS THE EVEN INTEGER!!! D'ARG!!! D'ARG!!!! WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT THAT?!?!?

So, for future releases, I'll be using y = floor (x + 0.5) rather than rint...

Hope nobody missed a championship due to this.
bratwurst
"A Set of Mop Squeezers"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so should I use "ceiling"? I found the explanation for it in JAVA, but it basically means jack squat to me. I think this is basically saying:

if a number is whole (for example, 3) it returns the whole number.

If a number has a decimal, it returns the next whole number (for example, 3.2 = 4, or 2.5 = 3).

Am I right?

In any given case with my formula, the only decimal number I can get is going to be a half, basically X.5. So the number should always go up to the next number anyway.

Quote:
ceil
public static double ceil(double a)Returns the smallest (closest to negative infinity) double value that is not less than the argument and is equal to a mathematical integer. Special cases:
If the argument value is already equal to a mathematical integer, then the result is the same as the argument.
If the argument is NaN or an infinity or positive zero or negative zero, then the result is the same as the argument.
If the argument value is less than zero but greater than -1.0, then the result is negative zero.
Note that the value of Math.ceil(x) is exactly the value of -Math.floor(-x).

Parameters:
a - a value.
Returns:
the smallest (closest to negative infinity) floating-point value that is not less than the argument and is equal to a mathematical integer.

Dix
"Royal Flush - No Hat"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... so when something bugs me I don't give up easily... I did some more searching... maybe this will give Doc a head start.

Seems that Java isn't the only place this is a problem... Microsoft VB guys struggle with this one too...

Quote:
This was discussed last month. Microsoft uses Bankers Rounding.
Bankers rounding is the number is rounded to the nearest even number.
Example. 11.5 would be rounded to 12, but 8.5 would be rounded to 8.
Microsoft has an article on it on their website.

Seems Java is using the same "banker's rounding"... always going to an even number.

I managed to scare up a couple links from Sun's Java docs on the subject in case that might help you out any Doc.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/math/RoundingMode.html
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/math/BigDecimal.html

EDIT: OK, so I'm late to the party.... as usual. Very Happy

But at least I did find an answer to the question of "why anyone would want to do that"... which makes a small amount of sense I guess...

Quote:
Banker's Rounding
When you add rounded values together, always rounding .5 in the same direction results in a bias that grows with the more numbers you add together. One way to minimize the bias is with banker's rounding.

Banker's rounding rounds .5 up sometimes and down sometimes. The convention is to round to the nearest even number, so that both 1.5 and 2.5 round to 2, and 3.5 and 4.5 both round to 4. Banker's rounding is symmetric.

In Visual Basic for Applications, the following numeric functions perform banker's rounding: CByte(), CInt(), CLng(), CCur(), and Round().

There are no Excel spreadsheet functions that perform banker's rounding.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/196652

Dix
"Royal Flush - No Hat"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bratwurst wrote:
OK so should I use "ceiling"?

Actually, you should use the "floor" function as Doc pointed out above to get it to round the way you want

floor (x + 0.5)

Where x = the value you want rounded

Well... OK.. you COULD use ceiling(x-.5)... pick your poison. Very Happy

for example... instead of (round((b * 1.5)))

you would use... (floor(((b * 1.5)+.5)))

However, You may be overlooking a simple solution to your problem... why round off at all?

There is something else you should realize... and something I explain to my players....

If you use the Score number format: Integer Players will always be ranked in the league results report according to ACTUAL points and not the displayed rounded off points.

for example... let's say you have a player with 7.5 points and another with 8 points who are 4th and 5th in the league standings... the league standings will show the player with 8 points as being in sole possession of 4th place and the other player will be ranked as 5th... even though the report is showing both of them appearing to have 8 points.

If you round off the points INSIDE of your formula (using either the round() or floor(x+.5) method) then both players will be reported as being tied for 4th place in the rankings.

Which is why I prefer to not round off points inside the formula and just let the Score number format: Integer get rid of all the decimal places.

I just tell everyone that just because the rounded off points appear to make two players equal, the report is accurate as far as position in the rankings go because they are based on actual fractional points before rounding off.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    drneau.com Forum Index -> The v2 Bucket All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: