drneau.com Forum Index drneau.com
A discussion board for drneau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting your consoles/alerts to load on startup of tool

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    drneau.com Forum Index -> The v2 Bucket
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Getting your consoles/alerts to load on startup of tool Reply with quote

Save your consoles to a file called "MyConsoles.drnc" and put it in your home directory. When you start the tool, it will look in your home directory for this file and attempt to load it.

On windows, your home directory is typically "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>".

On Linux/UNIX, if you don't know where your home directory is, stop using Linux/UNIX.

On Mac OS X, your home directory should be "/home/<username>", unless you changed it.

Last edited by drneau on Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
jalsing
"Cowboys"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting your consoles/alerts to load on startup of tool Reply with quote

drneau wrote:
On Linux/UNIX, if you don't know where your home directory is, stop using Linux/UNIX.

This perhaps is the funniest thing I've heard all day. I may have to use it as a signature line.
i8dbear
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a great feature.

On Mac OSX, the path description noted by our fearless leader translates to your Home folder, or <harddrivename>/Users/<username>/.

For what it's worth, Jeff, from a Mac perspective, this is a somewhat clumsy place to store it. Stuff like this usually goes in a folder like <harddrive>/Library/ApplicationSupport/<application name>/ or it gets stored in the application folder itself. But I understand that we are just put-upon minorities and you must serve the greater unwashed masses Cool
RPRobins
"Ace High"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the user should get to set a home directory in the program's settings. I'm on XP and I've been putting all of the files in c:\poker\Tournament Manager\. The "My Documents" folder in Windows gets way too cluttered. I'd at least like to see it default to c:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Tournament Manager\.

Nevertheless, yet another good feature you've added!
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For what it's worth, Jeff, from a Mac perspective, this is a somewhat clumsy place to store it. Stuff like this usually goes in a folder like <harddrive>/Library/ApplicationSupport/<application name>/ or it gets stored in the application folder itself.

Please remember that this is a cross-platform application, so I'm not going to hard-code any platform-specific pathnames. It's also a bad practice (in my opinion) to store user preferences in the application folder, because when you upgrade they can more easily get wiped out.

Quote:
I think the user should get to set a home directory in the program's settings

Well, I *could* let you do this, but then the question is where does the settings file get stored? Answer: Your home directory.

Quote:
I'd at least like to see it default to c:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Tournament Manager\

Now that's probably doable. Added to the list.
http://home.comcast.net/~jneau
jumperjeff
"Miracle Flush"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll throw in my 2 cents...

I've never hosted a tournament, so when I go to a home game, I take my laptop with me. This laptop belongs to my employer so I have to be careful what I install on it and where.

I really like TM because it doesn't require an install, and it runs from a single folder which can be stored on a USB memory key. (See where I'm going with this?)

I'd really like to be able to change the default save location from my "home directory" because where I work, this directory is automatically synchronized with on of our network drives, so technically, I'm putting poker stuff on our company drives. Probably not a good idea.

Please consider making the application folder the default location or allow us to specify it somehow.

Smile
jumperjeff
"Miracle Flush"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing on this topic.

I created a MyConsoles.drnc and put it in c:\documents and settings\<username> and it does try to load it, but the password prompt comes up. (This may be by design.)

I must say that this probably isn't the best place for this file though. There are some important files in that folder (ntuser.dat for one) and as an IT professional, I'd recommend that people DON'T use this folder for anything.

The other suggestions in this thread are alright, but the root of the 'home' directory seems a little scary to me.
MarcoB
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc,

Cant we just create a small text file somewhere which can contain some basic settings, I would prefer this file to be in the dirctory where the tournament manager is located (just dont included that file in the distribution) , but if it has to be the home directory, I dont care :

password:
path/name to tournament to load (for those who like to)
path/name to console to load (for those who like to)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good idea.
Seitz333
"Cowboys"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the MyConsoles.drnc file and it works but it always puts the default internal audio clip selections back in, even if I remove them before I save the file. If I select an outside audio clip for an alert that does not have a default it will save my selected audio clip. If I try to replace one of the internal audio clips with an external clip it will default back to the internal clip.

Chuck
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple updates here.

The default settings are now specified within the tool. Much more streamlined than what is mentioned here.

The bugs talked about in this thread are also fixed.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    drneau.com Forum Index -> The v2 Bucket All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: