drneau.com Forum Index drneau.com
A discussion board for drneau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Multiple consoles

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:16 am    Post subject: Multiple consoles Reply with quote

Okay. First major new post-v3 enhancement underway.

Want to think this through in public so that everyone can comment.

I'm working on adding the ability to have multiple consoles on a single host.

Why? You might have multiple monitors connected to a single host.
- Example 1: The external monitor could display a console. The internal monitor could display a console AND the main app. (Not possible do that today)
- Example 2: External monitor #1 could display the primary console. External monitor #2 could display another dashboard focused solely on seating, or the current heads-up bracket, etc. Internal monitor could be the app.

How I'm thinking it'll work:
- Each console will get a unique id and a "category". Unique id is to tell one from another in a control panel. Category will be "Primary", "Secondary1", "Secondary2", etc. You can create multiple consoles in the same category (like example #1 above).
- By default, a single primary console appears at startup (that's exactly how the app works today, and that's what most people will use).
- Users can create additional consoles at any time. You will specify the "category" of the new console at the time you create it.
- A console's category is modifiable at any time.
- The console dashboard map will reflect categories so that different consoles can be displayed per category.
- Each console will have the ability to control how it is displayed (full screen vs. window)
- User can destroy any console at any time. A warning message will confirm.
- A console control panel will be added to let you create new consoles, control how they are displayed, destroy them, change their category. All post-create operations will also be available from each console.
- Considering having the console theme store your settings and let you refresh them on demand.
http://home.comcast.net/~jneau
Rips
"Cowboys"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

v3.0.6: is it possible, to put only the seat plan on a console? or the ranking? atm i only could display this information as an overlay on all consoles.
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rips wrote:
v3.0.6: is it possible, to put only the seat plan on a console? or the ranking? atm i only could display this information as an overlay on all consoles.

Not yet. That's something I plan on doing, though.

Actually, for ranking: Make a dashboard that only shows ranking.
pathand
"Miracle Flush"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm experimenting with using two dashboards on the primary play key on the map. I've opened a tournament and selected my theme. I'm using my standard play dashboard with complete tourney info and a second play dashboard with a clock and image components only. I have multiple images selected on the second DB and none on the standard DB.

Currently, the dashboards are alternating about every 10 seconds. When the image DB comes on, the image is always the same one. The component content is set on a 5 second rotation delay with no apparent rotation.

The most obvious question is what did I do wrong? The second question is how do you set the time between multiple dashboard displays? The help section is kickin' my a$$ as usual, but that's not unusual for the resident dunce. I appreciate any and all help. help
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pathand wrote:
I'm experimenting with using two dashboards on the primary play key on the map. I've opened a tournament and selected my theme. I'm using my standard play dashboard with complete tourney info and a second play dashboard with a clock and image components only. I have multiple images selected on the second DB and none on the standard DB.

Currently, the dashboards are alternating about every 10 seconds. When the image DB comes on, the image is always the same one. The component content is set on a 5 second rotation delay with no apparent rotation.

The most obvious question is what did I do wrong? The second question is how do you set the time between multiple dashboard displays? The help section is kickin' my a$$ as usual, but that's not unusual for the resident dunce. I appreciate any and all help. help

When you say "DB", I assume you mean console.

Are you saying that the image component that should be displaying multiple images always displays the exact same image and never rotates?

I *do* know that every time that console is re-displayed, the image rotation will begin with the first image again.
pathand
"Miracle Flush"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="drneauWhen you say "DB", I assume you mean console.

Are you saying that the image component that should be displaying multiple images always displays the exact same image and never rotates?

I *do* know that every time that console is re-displayed, the image rotation will begin with the first image again.[/quote]

I kind of figured about the re-display, that's why I asked about a different delay setting between the two Db's, I mean consoles. I do that alot.
I figured that even with a 10 second console I would be able to see two of the same images on each restart if that were the case. So, is the 10 second console rotation adjustable the way I have applied the two or do I have bigger comprehension issues? BTW, the image component in my play console works fine by itself. All selected images display at 5 second intervals.

Edit: I just watched the tutorial again. I think I see one of my misunderstandings and if I'm not mistaken, it sounds like the time intervals are not adjustable the way I set my map. I'll get back to ya. study

Last edited by pathand on Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pathand wrote:

I *do* know that every time that console is re-displayed, the image rotation will begin with the first image again.

I kind of figured about the re-display, that's why I asked about a different delay setting between the two Db's, I mean consoles. I do that alot.
I figured that even with a 10 second console I would be able to see two of the same images on each restart if that were the case. So, is the 10 second console rotation adjustable the way I have applied the two or do I have bigger comprehension issues? BTW, the image component in my play console works fine by itself. All selected images display at 5 second intervals.[/quote]

There's currently no way to set the rotation delay between consoles. I thought about doing that, but I didn't think anyone would ever want it to be greater than 10 seconds.

So, it sounds like it's working as designed? I still can't tell if you're saying the image is rotating correctly or not.
pathand
"Miracle Flush"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drneau wrote:
pathand wrote:

I figured that even with a 10 second console I would be able to see two of the same images on each restart if that were the case. So, is the 10 second console rotation adjustable the way I have applied the two or do I have bigger comprehension issues? BTW, the image component in my play console works fine by itself. All selected images display at 5 second intervals.

There's currently no way to set the rotation delay between consoles. I thought about doing that, but I didn't think anyone would ever want it to be greater than 10 seconds.

So, it sounds like it's working as designed? I still can't tell if you're saying the image is rotating correctly or not.[/quote]

Yes, I edited my post. The design is working properly. The images rotate properly IF the console is not sharing a map key. Make sense? I hope so. Thanks for your time, again and again and...
pathand
"Miracle Flush"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. All is well. I'll just use C1 for the image console on my chosen segments. I guess Gobbs was right. Reading is a skill.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    drneau.com Forum Index -> Consoles All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: