drneau.com Forum Index drneau.com
A discussion board for drneau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Setting up V3 for network use

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarcoB
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Setting up V3 for network use Reply with quote

Should I be able to setup my data directory on the network like g:\poker and let the server and workstations use this information?

It comes up with a warning message about a lock file etc.

Do I have to copy the entire repository to run it as a client?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only the server needs access to the repository.

If you're getting a warning message about a lock file...you would get that if:
- You already have an instance of the server app running against the repo
- You copied the repository when the server was running
- The app crashed last time you ran it
- You killed the app last time you ran it (rather than exiting gracefully)

The lock file gets created when you start the server and gets removed as a normal part of the exit process.
http://home.comcast.net/~jneau
MarcoB
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it working now, at least, it will work for a little bit, and then the clients disconnects. First had it setup as wireless, now as a wired connection, and still disconnect issues.

When using mappings like \\server\data\poker\3 it's freaking out when using announcements and pause the game and stuff. When using drive mappings like g:\data\poker\3 it's working better.

Two questions at this moment :

Is there are way that the client automaticly can connect to the server as soon as the software starts up?

Can there be something like an automatic recovery for network issues? So that a client will keep trying and that it will place a message on the screen that there is a network issue? Because right now the screen will just freeze up. Maybe a message on the console screen after trying to connect/reconnect after a minute or so?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarcoB wrote:
I have it working now, at least, it will work for a little bit, and then the clients disconnects. First had it setup as wireless, now as a wired connection, and still disconnect issues.

When using mappings like \\server\data\poker\3 it's freaking out when using announcements and pause the game and stuff. When using drive mappings like g:\data\poker\3 it's working better.

Two questions at this moment :

Is there are way that the client automaticly can connect to the server as soon as the software starts up?

Can there be something like an automatic recovery for network issues? So that a client will keep trying and that it will place a message on the screen that there is a network issue? Because right now the screen will just freeze up. Maybe a message on the console screen after trying to connect/reconnect after a minute or so?

You've got two different things going on. I'd try to isolate them first, then tackle one at a time.

Issue One: Repository location
First, I want to make sure of one thing. You don't have the client and server running out of the same repository, do you? If you do, that could potentially really screw things up. Reading your original message again, I'm going to guess that's what you are doing.

My software does not require file sharing between the client and the server. Anything that needs to be shared is transmitted by the software. That said, I think a lot of people simply assume file sharing is required because that's how other poker tournament management software works (because they couldn't figure out a better way to do it)

The client should have it's own separate repository, and ideally that would be on the same system where the client is running. The clients repository is a cache of the data is needs for console display (chip designs, images, audios and dashboard models).

When the client connects, it works with the server to update its local cache and get what it needs. This way, the server doesn't send an image down to the client when it needs to be displayed...the client already has it.

The server's repository is where the data really lives.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to put the server repository on the network? I mean, you CAN...but why do you want to?

I can see where having the repository on the network *might* result in some latency issues. The server interacts with the repository quite a bit, so if your network is crappy then you'll potentially see delays when it's accessing files. There's not much I can do about that.

Also, you said that different mappings behave differently and it freaks out with the UNC path. Can you elaborate??

Issue Two: Client Connectivity
The client will not automatically connect to the server at start up. You still have to do that...although I personally don't think that's a big deal since you have to be there to run the program anyway.

Reconnecting: Actually, the client already does attempt to reconnect. I spent quite a bit of time building that in. The client will keep trying to reconnect unless it was explicitly disconnected by the user. If it has a problem, you'll see information on that in the log screen on both the client AND the server. Are you checking the log windows on the networking tab?
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you mess with the network too much futher, it might help to read the mentor topic that's included in the application help titled "Networking - Working with Multiple Computers".

It's actually quite complete and explanatory.

Sadly, due to v2's lack of built-in help, I worry most people don't even realize how complete the help in v3 is...
MarcoB
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always try to store all data on my server, so it gets backed up etc.

I just moved the repositories over, and everything is working smoothly now. (had seperate repositories on the server). So that stuff is working great now, also added some RSS feeds (which I noticed in the very handy help file Smile ) no clue it was there.

About the auto startup, the reason I would like the autostartup is that I have some Fit-PC2's strapped to some flatscreens on stands (http://fit-pc2.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page), and it would be great if I can just turn those on, so they boot up automaticly, start the software automaticly, and display the console in full screen, and automaticly connect to the server.

I am planning on using this setup to organize party's, and it would just save a lot of time if it all would just start like that. That way no need for a mouse or keyboard. Just one time setup and forget it.

Just bring in the laptop, wireless hub, maybe a repeater for the bigger properties, just turn the stuff on and go. No messing with login's, settings etc. etc. The less needs to get done, the less can go wrong Smile

If you can make something like that happen, you'll make my day Smile and probably some others as well. If not, no biggie, we'll temporarly strap a keyboard and mouse to them.
boschie
"A Set of Mop Squeezers"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would make me also very happy.
criss
"Ace High"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: where did you get the mini pc? Reply with quote

I need 2 of those for my flat panels! Plus I think they will solve some of my problems at work. The reseller link they list for the USA isn't working
Post new topic   Reply to topic    drneau.com Forum Index -> Networking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: