drneau.com Forum Index drneau.com
A discussion board for drneau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Licensing?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slaide
"Ace High"

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:57 am    Post subject: Licensing? Reply with quote

I host a monthly tournament for about 15 people, sometimes I use a laptop and sometimes my computer. I was wondering when reading the licensing I guess I fit in the

You run a weekly home league. The tournaments are hosted at a different location each week. You usually run off of your laptop. Occasionally you run it off of someone else's laptop. 1

My question is when I subscrib do i have to give you all the possible id's which will run the software? Or can "transfer" (eg copy the program files) the program say from say computer to a laptop.

Sorry if this is noob question I'm just a little confused about the new licensing model.

Thanks in advance
KTB77
"Ace High"

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Licensing Reply with quote

Hi,
Slaide

I use the software on 2 computers also. You have your user id and then different host ids per each computer u use with different passwords on each. You just have to send a PM to the Doc with your new host ID(s).
Also read below "How Licensing Works" the Doc sent it with my updated keys.

How licensing works:
Licensing on a host is managed in a directory called '.drneaulicense'.
You will find this directory inside your home directory. If you
delete, move or modify this directory, your Host ID will change and
your license (assuming it is tied to your host) will stop working.

PLEASE RENEW YOUR LICENSES WELL BEFORE YOUR EXPIRATION DATE so that I
have time to respond with additional keys.

REBUILDING YOUR MACHINE WILL CHANGE YOUR HOST ID, so please allow
time to get new licenses after a rebuild.

The license directory cannot be transferred from one machine to
another. (I'm not saying you *shouldn't* do it...it actually doesn't
work). Let me know if you need keys for multiple hosts.
Calendyr
"Miracle Flush"

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I am confused now. I thought the idea with Version 3 was to allow users to put the software on a Thumb Drive and use it on any computer you wanted. So now, the software will be tied to a single computer because of the license? Good thing to know, I was about to sign up for a year.
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calendyr wrote:
Ok I am confused now. I thought the idea with Version 3 was to allow users to put the software on a Thumb Drive and use it on any computer you wanted. So now, the software will be tied to a single computer because of the license? Good thing to know, I was about to sign up for a year.

The license is tied to a host, yes...but I'll license multiple hosts if you want (and you don't pay extra for that, in case it isn't obvious).

So, as long as you register the machines in advance, no problem.
If you run around town managing tournaments on random computers that you've never seen before, then this model won't work for you.

Go ahead and complain, but I've had to go this route to combat people screwing me (not that I'm pointing any fingers at the Poker Knights of Calgary...but for v2, they actually had a guy paying for a subscription and then posting the password on their site each month so that all members had free access to my software without paying).

Tip #1: If you're going to share passwords illegally, don't do it in a public forum.
Tip #2: If you're going to pirate software, don't put pictures of yourself doing it on the internet.

In the end, this is actually a better model. I'm now able to confidently give people passwords that expire over a year out without worrying about them sharing it with the world. For you, that means you don't have to come back every month to get a new password.
http://home.comcast.net/~jneau
pathand
"Miracle Flush"

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do yourself a favor and subscribe. I needed multiple hosts and there was no problem. It's all good. Enjoy.
csmith
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my to laptop get everything setup and tweeked pre-tourney, and an old computer in my poker room to actually run the tourney. Everything is on a thumb drive.

Subscribe and tell Jeff what you need and he will take care of you.
Calendyr
"Miracle Flush"

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I hold poker tournaments at two separate places. I have a laptop but I installed fixed computers at both places.

I like the fact you can get a yearly license, having to get a password every month was pain.

My license ends in 2 days. What will be needed to register the computers? My next tournament is Tuesday, I won't have acces to that computer till then and neither of the two computers I use have internet or network capabilities. Will that be a problem?

Since the price of the license doubled with V3, I am still weighting my options. I only use the basic capabilities of the software. A freeware would probably do the job for me but I like to have the ability to customize the screens.
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calendyr wrote:
Right now I hold poker tournaments at two separate places. I have a laptop but I installed fixed computers at both places.

I like the fact you can get a yearly license, having to get a password every month was pain.

My license ends in 2 days. What will be needed to register the computers? My next tournament is Tuesday, I won't have acces to that computer till then and neither of the two computers I use have internet or network capabilities. Will that be a problem?

Since the price of the license doubled with V3, I am still weighting my options. I only use the basic capabilities of the software. A freeware would probably do the job for me but I like to have the ability to customize the screens.

Pay right now and I'll give you a temp license good on any host for a short period, then we can generate licenses for those specific hosts when you have time.
http://home.comcast.net/~jneau
Post new topic   Reply to topic    drneau.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: