drneau.com Forum Index drneau.com
A discussion board for drneau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bad beats by dealer errors

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rastapete
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Bad beats by dealer errors Reply with quote

Playing my home tourney last night, I got bad beat by two dealer errors. First one we were about 5 or 6-handed (down from 9), I picked up 9-9, and raised from UTG. Only the BB called. Flop comes T-high, BB says "all-in". There's 1100 in the pot, I have around 5k, and I'm leaning towards calling depending on how short I'd be if I lost. So I say "how much?" While he's counting, the dealer who has misheard "how much" for "I'm out", rabbit hunts and turns a 9. Turns out the BB had around 1300 and I can't honestly say for sure I'd have called. But for sure I can't call knowing the 9 is coming, and if they burn that card and deal another one, I don't know if I can call knowing there's only one 9. I suppose I probably would have since I wasn't really calling to draw to a set. Anyway I fold.

Later, about 4-handed, after the cards are dealt a helpful player is pushing the hands along the table nearer to the players (some of our dealers aren't very good, and with an overhead fan on it's safer for them to deal out in front of them especially those at the ends of the table). While he's pushing my hand a card sticks to his finger and flips up. It's an Ace. I look at the other card. It's an Ace. Shortstack looks at what would have been her hand, sees a pair and says she'd have pushed.

I end up 3-handed with BB from first hand and Shortstack from 2nd hand. Shortstack takes about 4k from me in a couple of hands, leaving me short. She then proceeds to lose it all to the former BB, who outchips me 6:1 and I push with A-10 and his AK holds up.

It took me a good hour after going to bed to be able to get those two hands out of my head though. Of course I know rationally that "history does not reveal it's alternatives". And that there's no telling what would have happened had either of those hands gone differently. But still, deep inside some unhealthy part of my mind is telling me that I 'should' have knocked each of those players out, and had a much healthier stack.

For some reason, this has been much harder to shake off than getting bad beat by the run of the cards.
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two points to anyone who can tell me what "Gobbs" would say.
http://home.comcast.net/~jneau
rastapete
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a "Gobbs"?
rastapete
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drneau wrote:

You mixed up your fora, didn't you Doc?

Come on, you can admit it. I won't tell anyone.
pfapfap
"A Set of Mop Squeezers"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old message, but I'm browsing, and this caught my eye...

Quote:
But for sure I can't call knowing the 9 is coming, and if they burn that card and deal another one, I don't know if I can call knowing there's only one 9.

Standard procedure around these parts is to take the card out of play, complete the action, and then burn and turn what would've been the same river card as the new turn. Complete action, then shuffle back in the premature turn and deal a river without an additional burn. Technically the same odds of getting it, but, well, yeah, that still sucks.[/i]
Rips
"Cowboys"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad beats by dealer errors Reply with quote

rastapete wrote:
While he's counting, the dealer who has misheard "how much" for "I'm out", rabbit hunts and turns a 9.

Tell your dealer, that he should NEVER rabbit hunt a card. And in very important situations he has to knock twice on the table (to announce an action-stop), take a short view over the table, if there's any incomplete action. After that, it's not a dealer error, because the active players have a chance to tell the dealer that the hand is not completed.

rastapete wrote:
While he's pushing my hand a card sticks to his finger and flips up. It's an Ace. I look at the other card. It's an Ace. Shortstack looks at what would have been her hand, sees a pair and says she'd have pushed.

Your dealer doesn't snip the cards when dealing. It sounds like a bad style of dealing cards. As a right-handed person, the dealer should push the top card of the deck with his left thumb, then grab it with his right thumb and index finger and then snip it to the player with his middle finger. The card will rotate and stay stable in the air. Nobody can see the card value (when it's dealt too high) and it wouldn't stick on the dealer's finger.
Muley05
"A Set of Mop Squeezers"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drneau wrote:

This is an old post, but ol' Gobbs would say that if you used a dedicated dealer, this would not be an issue.

With inflation, those two points ought to be worth at least three by now...... Laughing
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muley05 wrote:
drneau wrote:

This is an old post, but ol' Gobbs would say that if you used a dedicated dealer, this would not be an issue.

With inflation, those two points ought to be worth at least three by now...... Laughing

That and $13 will get you a Dr. Neau hat.
http://home.comcast.net/~jneau
Post new topic   Reply to topic    drneau.com Forum Index -> Home Poker Topics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: