drneau.com Forum Index drneau.com
A discussion board for drneau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

League Point Calculations Suggestions

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    drneau.com Forum Index -> The v2 Bucket
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Addicted
"Cowboys"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: League Point Calculations Suggestions Reply with quote

I'd like to suggest 2 enhancement ideas relating to the league point systems that TM supports:

First, I would like to have the ability to assign different scoring methods to different tourneys within the same league. For example, I host a SuperBowl Weekend tourney that is a bigger deal than my normal bi-weekly game. I'd like to have the SuperBowl weekend game be worth double the points of a normal game. Along the same lines, although I do not normally track knock-outs, I think it might be fun to host an occassional head-hunter night where the player's score is based on knockouts. To that end, it would be nice if I could assign different scoring systems to individual tourneys within a league.

Second, it would be nice if it were possible to customize the league point accumulation methods. I believe TM currently supports only two score accumulation methods: total and average. I'd like to use a formula instead. Something along the lines of:
If player participates in 1-5 tourneys, then participation points = 500
If player participates in 6+ tourney, then participation points =1000
League Points=Participation Points + Total Score

Alternatively, I've considered using a league point system where each player's worst 2 finishes are thrown out. In other words, the league points would only consider the players 10 best scores over a 12 tourney season. This would give those of us with kids, jobs, and other commitments a little better chance to compete over an entire season with the twenty-somethings who never have any conflicts that force them to miss an occassional poker night.

My guess is that the second suggestion (and maybe the first as well) is more trouble than it's worth. But I thought I would throw it out there anyway.

P.S. In the event that you decide to include either of these suggestions into upcoming versions of TM, please save them for versions 3.5 or 4.0. Don't want to do anything to delay the release of 3.0.
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: League Point Calculations Suggestions Reply with quote

Addicted wrote:
I'd like to suggest 2 enhancement ideas relating to the league point systems that TM supports:

First, I would like to have the ability to assign different scoring methods to different tourneys within the same league. For example, I host a SuperBowl Weekend tourney that is a bigger deal than my normal bi-weekly game. I'd like to have the SuperBowl weekend game be worth double the points of a normal game. Along the same lines, although I do not normally track knock-outs, I think it might be fun to host an occassional head-hunter night where the player's score is based on knockouts. To that end, it would be nice if I could assign different scoring systems to individual tourneys within a league.

Second, it would be nice if it were possible to customize the league point accumulation methods. I believe TM currently supports only two score accumulation methods: total and average. I'd like to use a formula instead. Something along the lines of:
If player participates in 1-5 tourneys, then participation points = 500
If player participates in 6+ tourney, then participation points =1000
League Points=Participation Points + Total Score

Alternatively, I've considered using a league point system where each player's worst 2 finishes are thrown out. In other words, the league points would only consider the players 10 best scores over a 12 tourney season. This would give those of us with kids, jobs, and other commitments a little better chance to compete over an entire season with the twenty-somethings who never have any conflicts that force them to miss an occassional poker night.

My guess is that the second suggestion (and maybe the first as well) is more trouble than it's worth. But I thought I would throw it out there anyway.

P.S. In the event that you decide to include either of these suggestions into upcoming versions of TM, please save them for versions 3.5 or 4.0. Don't want to do anything to delay the release of 3.0.

Drat. You've actually suggested some things I was considering:
- Point system assignable per tournament
- Separating the point system from the accumulation method (you suggested this without knowing it)

So I guess I'll proceed with making those happen.
http://home.comcast.net/~jneau
Addicted
"Cowboys"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
And Go Bears!
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Implemented and working in v3. Moving topic.
http://home.comcast.net/~jneau
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    drneau.com Forum Index -> The v2 Bucket All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: