drneau.com Forum Index drneau.com
A discussion board for drneau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Differential buy-ins & prize pools

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    drneau.com Forum Index -> The v2 Bucket
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rastapete
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Differential buy-ins & prize pools Reply with quote

This is a little different from the similarly-named thread from last year. I came across a thread on another BB from a poster who wanted to know how to keep two sets of players at his home game satisfied, in the circumstances in which one set wanted to play for buy-ins 10x the comfort level of the other set.

The suggestion was made that group A (comprising x number of players) could buy-in for $250 each, and group B (comprising y number of players) for $25 each - there would be a prize pool of <(x+y)*25> that all players would compete for, and another prize pool of <x*225> that only group A members would compete for.

Seemed like a decent solution (provided all the players are known to be trustworthy). Is this a wrinkle that v3 could or should cater for?
Dix
"Royal Flush - No Hat"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my own 2cents here but, considering everything that v3 WILL be able to do how much more should we all really expect?

How much work could we really expect Doc to put into something that may only be a specific "toy" for one or two people?

I read some of the suggestions for enhancements on here and really some of them are things that CAN already be done with a few extra mouse-clicks or it's like they want the thing to run telepathically and serve refeshments to the players too. Very Happy

While I haven't done any programming at all in about 10 years and what I know about Java is about the same as what I know about Nuclear Physics, when you stop and think about what he's already got on his plate programming-wise... I feel for him.

Now, something that might be fairly simple (like my thoughts on the "display names" http://www.drneau.com/BB/viewtopic.php?t=1092 ) might be one thing, but something that might require a major re-write of a sub-routine, or even its own fairly large sub-routine, especially if the number of people who might actually USE it is miniscule... is asking a bit much in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong Pete... I'm not knocking the idea if Doc's up for it. Again, I'm not sure exactly how much work it would require. But I've had this thought about some of the requested features for a while now, and this just seemed like the perfect post and perfect time to toss it out there.

Seriously, I've been waiting for the post that says...

Quote:
Hey Doc, how about if the app could e-mail all my players, do electronic tranfers of buy-ins and payouts, call all the wives of the final table players and tell them they will be late getting home.... oh and it would be really neat if it could wake me up in the morning and make my coffee... how about if it can have sex with me too.

Very Happy
rastapete
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense taken. I take this forum to be the place where any and all ideas are tossed around, and depending on the reception, Doc can Do, Defer, or Drop, as he sees fit.

In fact the feature that I suggested isn't really on my wish list.
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Implemented in v3.

You'll have your normal buy-in process, and then an optional "Last Longer" side bet that can payout however you want.

Moving topic.
http://home.comcast.net/~jneau
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    drneau.com Forum Index -> The v2 Bucket All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: