drneau.com Forum Index drneau.com
A discussion board for drneau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I Am Calendyr. Hear Me Roar

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    drneau.com Forum Index -> The v2 Bucket
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calendyr
"Miracle Flush"

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An other nice video. Thanks Doc.

Ok, comments now...

I like what you have shown. What I would like to see is how to create the ranking and scoring methods. For instance, in our league, each player gets a point for every player eliminated before him plus one. I think that is pretty straightforward and standard. Where we vary a little is that making the final table doubles your points, being the runner up gives you a 150% bonus instead of the 100% and winning gives you a 300% bonus instead of the 100%. How complicated would that be to put in?

Also I am not sure if you have shown the player database for V3, you have made so many videos Wink But that was a major issue for me in V2. I would love to see the actual inteaction between the player database, inserting a new member in the database, registering process for a tourney (verifying member status (expired or not), entering tourney results after the tournament ends (we use a paper elimination roster for that) and actual league rankings. If you could do a walkthrough those steps using V3 in would be great.

Also, what would be really insane is if there was a way to put the database online so that players could check their info. We do that right now using a PhP database. Players can log in their account and check the number of tourneys they played during the season, their actual league ranking, the number of money finishes they made, the number of final tables they made and their average percentile ranking.

With the new interface I love the fact you can exclude someone from the list, I had to ban peoples over the years for cheating or being obnoxious and I am sure it will happen again in the future.

Also the ability to add or remove a tourney from the ranking in good.

What would be even better would be the ability to run more than one league at the same time and include or exclude tourneys for each. That way, for exemple, you could have Pinnaple tournaments in one league, Omaha Tournaments in an other one and Hold'em in a third one with the ability to make an overall ranking for all the tourneys together.

Hope I am not giving you a headhache Wink
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You bring up quite a few things here. I'll try extract each thought and address it separately...

How to create scoring methods
This hasn't changed from v2, yet.
When v3 is released, there'll be a video with demonstrations, but for now the videos are focused on "what's new".

How to have scoring method double your points for final table
Your scoring method would have to know how big a final table is. It's possible to do now with the if statements.

Bonus points for runner up and winner
Again, you can do this now. You'll need to use "if" statements in your formula.

Video for player database?
There is one, yes. Inserting a new member is in that video.

Expired?
What the heck does it mean for someone to be expired?!?!?

Entering tourney results after tournament ends
Why would you use a paper elimination roster instead of the app?

Putting stuff on web
You can do that with v2, but v3 will have a lot more options or it.

Tournies/leagues
Define "run more than one league at a time". Is that something you really do? Are you saying you want a single tournament to be in two different leagues? Really??
http://home.comcast.net/~jneau
rastapete
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drneau wrote:

Expired?

Too soon?
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not on this board. Maybe on another one...
Calendyr
"Miracle Flush"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drneau wrote:
You bring up quite a few things here. I'll try extract each thought and address it separately...

How to create scoring methods
This hasn't changed from v2, yet.
When v3 is released, there'll be a video with demonstrations, but for now the videos are focused on "what's new".

How to have scoring method double your points for final table
Your scoring method would have to know how big a final table is. It's possible to do now with the if statements.

Bonus points for runner up and winner
Again, you can do this now. You'll need to use "if" statements in your formula.

Video for player database?
There is one, yes. Inserting a new member is in that video.

Expired?

Entering tourney results after tournament ends
Why would you use a paper elimination roster instead of the app?

Putting stuff on web
You can do that with v2, but v3 will have a lot more options or it.

Tournies/leagues
Define "run more than one league at a time". Is that something you really do? Are you saying you want a single tournament to be in two different leagues? Really??

Ok let's see...

So the scoring method is still a math formula you have to construct. While this probably work very well, I did find it tedious to use. I was hoping that a wizard could be used to construct that. Possible at all?

For the video about database, I will have to watch the previous videos again, probably missed that one.

Our membership is good for one year. So if the member has not renewed he needs to do it when he comes in for the tourney registration.

We use a paper roster for many reasons. The first one is that I am not always available when someone busts out. And I don't want people to fool around in the application. The second reason is that I deal the final table and I can't stop dealing and go play with the computer that is about a 100 feet away every time someone is eliminated. And finaly, it gives me a permanent record in case computer crashes or the player contest his position in a tourney. My system works very well, all people have to do is write down their member number on the roster when they bust out. Takes me about 10 mins to enter the roster in the database and the database generates all of the rankings for the league and the tourney.

As for running more than one league at the time, yes I have done it and will probably do it again next season. Last season we had 5 leagues running at the same time. We had one league for each day of the week we held tournaments : Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays and we had a league championship that included all of the tourneys played. Basically we had one championship for each day and an overall championship. Worked well. Next season I plan on having activities 5 days a week and one of those tourney will most likelly be Pinnaple if I can get enough people interested. So I will need a separate league for that. Eventually I would like to have one night for Omaha as well. And it would not be fair to compile points for one type of game against an other type of game.

As for putting stuff on the web, you are probably talking about the pages that can be generated in HTML. I was refering to actual interactive data. The best exemple would be to go on our website... it's in french but I am sure you will get the idea anyway...

http://www.pokerrosemont.com/PokerRosemont2/fiche0.php
Member number (Numéro de membre): 996
Last name (Nom de famille): Turgeon

That is the personal data for that specific player. It is generated in real time directly from the database.

If you want to have a look at the rest of the website, the URL is: www.liguepokermetropolitaine.com you can probably have a web translator transform it into weird english for you Wink
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So the scoring method is still a math formula you have to construct. While this probably work very well, I did find it tedious to use. I was hoping that a wizard could be used to construct that. Possible at all?

Another complex answer.

In v3, a scoring method can be one of two types:
- A formula, or
- A spreadsheet (new for v3...there's a video on this too: http://drneau.com/BB/viewtopic.php?t=1146)

Obviously, you're concerned about creating and editing the formula. For now, that's not changing....but that's something I'll be looking at improving as a post-v3 enhancement. The formulas themselves will stay as they are (probably with more options), but the method for creating and editing them will defintely improve. But, since there's a way to create them now that works, improving the method is not a focus for the initial release of v3.

Quote:
Our membership is good for one year.

Hmmm...a way to track league-specific attributes on a player...hmmm. I'll have to noodle on that one. That stuff can't be part of the core database parts of a player (with address/nickname/birthday) because a player could be part of multiple leagues. It can't be part of the tournament aspect of a player because you don't want to track it in multiple tournaments...so, what I'll probably end up doing is having a "league player" entity to track this type of information. It's actually something I was thinking about doing anyway.

As far as your league database/website...all I can do is give you tools to extract data into an XML file(s). If you can make your website handle that...
Calendyr
"Miracle Flush"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link to the video in that page is broken.

The interactive database is something that probably very few people would use. So don't worry about it Wink

As for tracking player expiry dates, you could simply add generic fields that could be named and used to what ever purpose we need.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    drneau.com Forum Index -> The v2 Bucket All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: