drneau.com Forum Index drneau.com
A discussion board for drneau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Video: Elimination Wizard for v3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Video: Elimination Wizard for v3 Reply with quote

Let me know what you think so far:

http://drneau.com/v3Preview/eliminationwizard/eliminationwizard.html
http://home.comcast.net/~jneau
Calendyr
"Miracle Flush"

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love your videos Wink

Ok...

First for the icon... what about a gun or hanger's rope?

For the elimination screen...

1. I noticed you can have more than one eliminator. If you click accept, what will happen? In my mind you should not be able to have 2 people in that box. Unless the app won't let you apply when there is more than one.

2. Much more fluid to move things around. In essence you could just enter the whole elimination list at once right? If so it's really good and I don't see anything that could be improved.

Just a question, will this screen track bounties?
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

If I can find a gun icon, that's be cool. Mostly, I've been using icons from the Eclipse project. You should be able to tell which icons I've made myself...they are the crappy ones like "seat" and "unseat". Making good looking icons is hard.

More than one eliminator: Yes. That's absolutely necessary.

A lot of people play assuming there is always one eliminator...then they have a chop and don't know what to do. How to we split a bounty chip?Or....their software can't handle it.

Multiple people eliminated at once: You didn't ask, but I hope it's obvious why you need that and why you need to specify a finish order...two players out in the same hand, but one had more chips. The one with more chips *should* finish higher in the standings.

We actually had this situation in our home league once: 3-way chop with 2 players eliminated on the same hand. 3 eliminators, 2 eliminatees.

The thought is that you enter eliminations along the way so that the console is updated with "remaining player count" during the tournament. The use of this dialog is what logs knockouts. In my example above, each of the eliminators gets 2/3rds of a knockout.

So, if you waited until the end of the tournament and eliminated everyone at once, you'd get the correct standings...but the knockouts would look like the winner knocked everyone out.

Plus, I'll be creating "side-bets" like putting the bounty on a specific person. This is how you'll denote who knocked them out.

It's the same process as v2, just that:
- The dialog is much easier to use and more user-friendly
- Editing what happened after the fact will be a TON easier (haven't shown you that yet)
Calendyr
"Miracle Flush"

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drneau wrote:
Thanks.

If I can find a gun icon, that's be cool. Mostly, I've been using icons from the Eclipse project. You should be able to tell which icons I've made myself...they are the crappy ones like "seat" and "unseat". Making good looking icons is hard.

More than one eliminator: Yes. That's absolutely necessary.

A lot of people play assuming there is always one eliminator...then they have a chop and don't know what to do. How to we split a bounty chip?Or....their software can't handle it.

Multiple people eliminated at once: You didn't ask, but I hope it's obvious why you need that and why you need to specify a finish order...two players out in the same hand, but one had more chips. The one with more chips *should* finish higher in the standings.

We actually had this situation in our home league once: 3-way chop with 2 players eliminated on the same hand. 3 eliminators, 2 eliminatees.

The thought is that you enter eliminations along the way so that the console is updated with "remaining player count" during the tournament. The use of this dialog is what logs knockouts. In my example above, each of the eliminators gets 2/3rds of a knockout.

So, if you waited until the end of the tournament and eliminated everyone at once, you'd get the correct standings...but the knockouts would look like the winner knocked everyone out.

Plus, I'll be creating "side-bets" like putting the bounty on a specific person. This is how you'll denote who knocked them out.

It's the same process as v2, just that:
- The dialog is much easier to use and more user-friendly
- Editing what happened after the fact will be a TON easier (haven't shown you that yet)

Ya true in the case of a split pot you could have more than one eliminator.

We don't track eliminators. Maybe you could have a placeholder that would tell the interface not to track eliminators in the list of players... or something. So the dialog could say something like "John Doe eliminated" Instead of "John Doe eliminated by Rocky Balboa".
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Calendyr"]
drneau wrote:
Thanks.
Ya true in the case of a split pot you could have more than one eliminator.

We don't track eliminators. Maybe you could have a placeholder that would tell the interface not to track eliminators in the list of players... or something. So the dialog could say something like "John Doe eliminated" Instead of "John Doe eliminated by Rocky Balboa".

Everything you're talking about is already in v2...I believe.

But that does remind me that I need to add an attribute to the Standard Tournament to "Force Enter of Eliminator on Knockouts".
Calendyr
"Miracle Flush"

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok. You statement saying that it would look like everyone was knocked out by the same player made me believe there was no such option.

It's all good then Wink
MissileMan
"Miracle Flush"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Video: Elimination Wizard for v3 Reply with quote

drneau wrote:
Let me know what you think so far:

Looks great to me!!
Addicted
"Cowboys"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the tourney is set up so that you don't track eliminators, will the wizard still display the eliminator section?
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addicted wrote:
If the tourney is set up so that you don't track eliminators, will the wizard still display the eliminator section?

Yeah. They'll just be optional rather than mandatory.
MaxPower
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the interface! How configurable will the tables be? In other words, if I want to display playes by Nickname only (or Avatar?), can I configure it to do so? Not saying it necessary, but it would be a nice to have...

Max
Table for one, please...
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaxPower wrote:
Like the interface! How configurable will the tables be? In other words, if I want to display playes by Nickname only (or Avatar?), can I configure it to do so? Not saying it necessary, but it would be a nice to have...

Max
Table for one, please...

I wasn't planning on making those tables configurable, since the focus of that panel is eliminating someone.

Would you really want to show their nickname or avatar rather than ID/Name? I honestly can't think of how that would be useful.

Seriously. Honestly.

Make me a believer.
MaxPower
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avatar was just a pie in the sky thing - but nickname - some of the guys in our league have developed nicknames - mostly given by moi. But they've caught on - like "Chief Wahoo", "Table Nazi", "Bryant's Friend", "Old Man River", "Baby Bull", "Uni-bomber", etc. I guess I could learn their names, but to me, a nickname is easier than looking up first/last.

Again - must haves? Not really... But since you're in the development phase, I thought about getting on the gravy train... Especially when I get my cut of all the awesome profits you'll reap when this becomes THE tournament/leauge tracking tool on the inter-tubies!

Max
I can't wait to cash my first check of $0.000004!!!
Addicted
"Cowboys"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drneau wrote:
Addicted wrote:

Not a big deal, but I'd prefer it not to show up. I would like to have my players eliminate themselves from the computer. While you would think that anybody with even 1/2 a brain would be able to figure this out, you haven't played with my group. I think it would be nice if all they had to do (and all they were capable of doing) was highlight their name and click "eliminate." Obviously, this is not a big deal. Just my .02.
MissileMan
"Miracle Flush"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaxPower wrote:
Avatar was just a pie in the sky thing...

It figures Homer Simpson would talk about pie...
Calendyr
"Miracle Flush"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addicted wrote:
drneau wrote:
Addicted wrote:

Not a big deal, but I'd prefer it not to show up. I would like to have my players eliminate themselves from the computer. While you would think that anybody with even 1/2 a brain would be able to figure this out, you haven't played with my group. I think it would be nice if all they had to do (and all they were capable of doing) was highlight their name and click "eliminate." Obviously, this is not a big
deal. Just my .02.

People in my league have a hard time putting their member number on a sheet of paper. I would never let the temper with the Tournament computer!
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addicted wrote:
drneau wrote:
Addicted wrote:

Not a big deal, but I'd prefer it not to show up. I would like to have my players eliminate themselves from the computer. While you would think that anybody with even 1/2 a brain would be able to figure this out, you haven't played with my group. I think it would be nice if all they had to do (and all they were capable of doing) was highlight their name and click "eliminate." Obviously, this is not a big deal. Just my .02.

I think the most I'd do is this:

- Tournament will have an attribute for whether or not you are tracking eliminators
- If you ARE, then the dialog will show the eliminators box and require you to enter at least one
- If you AREN'T, then the dialog will, be default, have the eliminators box minimized and give you the option to maximize it. Entering one will be optional.
Addicted
"Cowboys"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That will work just fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    drneau.com Forum Index -> Tournaments All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: