drneau.com Forum Index drneau.com
A discussion board for drneau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

v3 Progress Update - 6/21/2007

Post new topic   Reply to topic    drneau.com Forum Index -> Development and Release News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: v3 Progress Update - 6/21/2007 Reply with quote

Just wanted to give a quick update on v3.

I've been working on it a LOT.

What I've been focusing on is the "New Tournament Wizard", which in turn really affects all the screens you'll use to manage a tournament.

Going through this effort is really making me focus on componentization, ease-of-use, speed of tournament creation, re-use...all kinds of good stuff. I'm also designing the entire app so that it will work well on an 800x600 display.

The "New Tournament Wizard" walks you through a simple process for creating a tournament. Once this wizard is done, I'd estimate that v3 is getting very close to a first release...most of the screens used in the wizard will be the same screens used in managing a tournament.

The wizard also lets you know exactly where you are in the creation process using the guide on the left.

Step 0: Decide what type of tournament you want to create
Right now, the only option is "Standard"...but there'll be options for "Shootout", "Heads-up" etc. in the future. I'm designing it so that I can add these options later.
You'll also be able to select an existing tournament and copy all the settings from it.

Step 1: Wizard Welcome Screen

Step 2: Define the primary tournament attributes.
This screen asks you to define the tournament name, the tournament display name (for the console, which could be different than the storage name...for your record-keeping ease), start date/time, game & limit type, league association (if any), player database and ranking method.

A few notes on this:
- The tournament name, display name, player database and ranking method are mandatory fields. You cannot proceed past this screen until you have set values for each of them.
- League is optional. If you set the league, your player database is automatically set to that league. A tournament must use the same player database as the associated league.
- You can create a new league (launches the league wizard) or player database right from this screen.

Step 3: Define the chip purchase options

This is much like you are used to, except now each type has a properties screen where you do the editing/creation. Notice also that there are additional attributes for defining a rebuy option.

Step 4: Add players to the roster

You are presented with 2 lists here: Who's on the roster and who's not on the roster. You can select players to add and just click a button to add them. If they are on and you want to remove them, select and click. If you want to add someone NOT on the roster, create a new player (automatically added to database also).

From either screen, you can look at the other properties of a player.

These will be the default columns that show up on this screen, but I'm wondering if anyone would need the ability to customize the visible columns here for any reason...I'll probably give you that option.

I'm also going to add the ability to purchase rebuys and add-ons right from here.

Step 5: Defining the tables and seating players

Here's the new seating panel for v3. I've put a lot of work into this and am really happy with it. Some features:

- If you click on a table in the "Table List", the table is automatically displayed in the "Table Detail" area.
- If you click on a player in the "Player List", their table is automatically displayed in the "Table Detail" area.
- Unseated AND seated players show up in the player list, and you can filter the list based on seating status and state.
- You can lock players in their seat like before. You can also lock a seat so it won't be considered for seating by the seating/consolidation/balance wizards. (For a possible non-playing dealer, if you want...rather than having to change the table seat list).
- You can drag and drop players to tables to seat them or swap two players.
- If you try to unseat a player locked in their seat, you are prompted for how you want to handle it (leave seat locked, unlock seat, lock them in their new seat, cancel, etc.)
- Icons! This was the first screen I started working on with my new IconEditor that I purchased. I have a ways to go with my graphics (my picture of a chair sucks)...but you can see that I'm going to start using icons on buttons rather than words...that helps a lot with the 800x600 goal. BTW, the ? buttons just don't have icons yet.
- All tables have a drop-down menu that give you the same functionality available in the buttons.
- All buttons have tooltips to explain what they do.
- You can create your layout by copying a saved "table layout" component.
- You can save your layout as a new "table layout" component.
So, I imagine after you've used v3 for the first time, you'll simply have to click on the button to use an existing layout and be done.

BTW. Anyone who runs tournaments with more than 3 tables will like this little wizard:

Step 6: Define the chip case

This is a lot like you are used to from v2, except that there will be a chip distribution wizard tied into it.

Like the table layout, you'll probably usually simple copy a component into your tournament, and you can save the chip case as a component.

Note that their are 4 color options now...and remember that the designs will be yours to create (or reuse one of the 20 or so I provide).

Step 7: Create the betting schedule

Obviously this is the one I'm currently working on. What it'll have once it is done:
- Icons on the buttons that make sense.
- The ability to insert new segments before or after any selected segment.
- Fixed-start-time breaks!!! (You can say, "Break at 7:00")!!!! Very Happy
- Info right on the schedule for when each segment should start based on the current information.
- The ability to import a betting schedule component and save this betting schedule as a component.
- An extremely robust "Betting Schedule" wizard
- Access to the add-on and rebuy lists (along the ability to create and modify them from here also).
- More than 1 preferred console per round...so that you could rotate between consoles automatically.
- A "notes" property for each segment that could be displayed on the console somehow...like "last round for rebuys" or something like that.

Step 8: Bounties

This is where you can define all types of bounties...and not just the standard bounties from v2. You'll be able to create mulitple bounty groups, decide who's in, who's out, etc. Whee!!!

Step 9: Side Bets/Jackpots

All types of side-bets go here. Examples: Bad beat, best hand, whatever. You decide. Each side-bet will give you the ability to track who's in, (a check-box for "everyone"), who wins, current status (like current best hand), etc. Whee!

Step 10: Payout Schedule

Still to be done. Will be able to import components, save components and do what-if scenarios.

Step 11: Prize Pool Adjustments

Still to be done. This is where you can add to the prize pool, take rakes, specify where the rakes go, etc.

Step 12: Checklist

Still to be done, but really will just be like the checklist component designer.

Step 13: Console Settings

Mostly just a way to point to the Console Theme you want to use and browse the layouts. Other settings that can be set here include which announcements, nicknames, quiz questions, quotations, rules, terminology and trivia to display and how to display it.

Step 14: Event Log Options

What should be logged? When should it be logged?

Step 15: Final Notes

Any wrap-up. Probably remind the user that anything they just specified can be modified at any time.
http://home.comcast.net/~jneau
rumackay
"A Set of Mop Squeezers"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's been a busy boy then? Wink

That's looking great Doc! Can't wait to get my teeth into the first release.
popposoft
"Ace High"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we want a new beta Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ledge
"Cowboys"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good Doc. Can't wait for the release! ...... I think that I'm on tilt.
rastapete
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He doesn't update often, but when he does...Holy Shit!

Very good work from what I can see here Doc. As you know, we wait with 'baited' breath.
boschie
"A Set of Mop Squeezers"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could not find the link for downloading V3... search came up empty...

anyone???

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
boschie
"A Set of Mop Squeezers"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: selecting players Reply with quote

Will it be possible to select the players by number without clicking on them?

I am thinking of giving our players a card with a barcode-number and then use a barcodescanner to sign them in and if possible also use the card to sign the out.

Any thoughts about that?

GRTZ,
boschie
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: selecting players Reply with quote

boschie wrote:
Will it be possible to select the players by number without clicking on them?

I am thinking of giving our players a card with a barcode-number and then use a barcodescanner to sign them in and if possible also use the card to sign the out.

Any thoughts about that?

GRTZ,
boschie

Select without clicking? Heh? Shocked

Elaborate.
http://home.comcast.net/~jneau
boschie
"A Set of Mop Squeezers"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, in V2, i have to select the player in the players database and then click on "add to tournament".

A double-click gets me to change the players name.

So, i think i mean that i want a double-click to add the players to the tournament.

GRTZ,
boschie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    drneau.com Forum Index -> Development and Release News All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: