drneau.com Forum Index drneau.com
A discussion board for drneau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beta posted
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    drneau.com Forum Index -> Development and Release News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaxPower
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'll post this here...

(Doc, anyway to have a Beta3 Forum for testers comments?)

Anyway, so far I must be dumb as a box of rox. I'm having a really hard time getting payouts to even come close to making sense. Is it set up that much differently than the current version? Can someone walk me through it?

Also, without fail, my version of the beta hangs - blank screen. But if I play around with the window, parts of the window refresh, but not the whole window... And forget about closing out the window via the "X" button in the upper right.

-Max
Just my two cents...
rumackay
"A Set of Mop Squeezers"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaxPower wrote:
...I'm having a really hard time getting payouts to even come close to making sense...

As an official member of the dumb-ass group I will concur with this assement. I have a feeling that in the full release it will be working properly. Maybe the payout part of the beta requires things only available in the full release to be able to work fully. But then again maybe it's just because I'm a dumb-ass... Wink
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rumackay wrote:
MaxPower wrote:
...I'm having a really hard time getting payouts to even come close to making sense...

As an official member of the dumb-ass group I will concur with this assement. I have a feeling that in the full release it will be working properly. Maybe the payout part of the beta requires things only available in the full release to be able to work fully. But then again maybe it's just because I'm a dumb-ass... Wink

Well, you guys have to elaborate on this. The payouts aren't really that much different (admittedly, there are no instructions), but I'm open to comments...I just need more info on exactly what doesn't make sense...

The payout schedule takes into account that most tournaments pay out using a tiered structure. For instance:
- 1 to 10 players: Pay the top player
- 11 to 15 players: Pay the top 2 players
- 16 to 20 players: Pay the top 3 players
- etc.

So, in creating your payout schedule, you...
- Step 1. Create the tiers (just like before).
- Step 2. Decide how the tiers are selected (in v2, it was simply # of buy-ins. You now have mulitple options for this)
- Step 3: For each tier, decide how the number of spots paid is decided (manually specified by you, or some percentage of the buy-ins)
- Step 4: For each tier, decide how the percentages will be distributed.
- Step 5: For each tier, add any "fixed" payouts or cash prizes that you feel are necessary.

A few things to note:
- For any tier, you cannot manually pay more than the minimum number for that tier. (For example, if the tier activates when you have 1 to 10 players, you cannot specify that 2 players should be paid because 2 > 1).
- If you don't specify the # of spots to pay (instead you use the formula), then you cannot manually specify the percentages. Another way to say it: If you are going to let the formula decide how many place to pay, then the number of spots paid is dynamic so you must also use a formula to distribute payouts.
http://home.comcast.net/~jneau
Ranman
"A Set of Mop Squeezers"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drneau wrote:
rumackay wrote:
MaxPower wrote:

Well, you guys have to elaborate on this. The payouts aren't really that much different (admittedly, there are no instructions), but I'm open to comments...I just need more info on exactly what doesn't make sense...

The payout schedule takes into account that most tournaments pay out using a tiered structure. For instance:
- 1 to 10 players: Pay the top player
- 11 to 15 players: Pay the top 2 players
- 16 to 20 players: Pay the top 3 players
- etc.

So, in creating your payout schedule, you...
- Step 1. Create the tiers (just like before).
- Step 2. Decide how the tiers are selected (in v2, it was simply # of buy-ins. You now have mulitple options for this)
- Step 3: For each tier, decide how the number of spots paid is decided (manually specified by you, or some percentage of the buy-ins)
- Step 4: For each tier, decide how the percentages will be distributed.
- Step 5: For each tier, add any "fixed" payouts or cash prizes that you feel are necessary.

A few things to note:
- For any tier, you cannot manually pay more than the minimum number for that tier. (For example, if the tier activates when you have 1 to 10 players, you cannot specify that 2 players should be paid because 2 > 1).
- If you don't specify the # of spots to pay (instead you use the formula), then you cannot manually specify the percentages. Another way to say it: If you are going to let the formula decide how many place to pay, then the number of spots paid is dynamic so you must also use a formula to distribute payouts.

OK, I'll chime in here.
In my games I pay out places based on # of buy-ins. 1-12 player pays 3 spots (50,30,20%), 13+ pays 4 spots (50,25,15,1

I create the Payout Tiers 1-12 and 13-MAX. At this point "No gaps" & "No overlap" are green (a good thing) but "Tiers not complete" is red (bad thing).
Now, in the "Configuration of Selected Tier", Tier Scope is 1 to 12 and I am using manual spot count method. It is only giving me 1 spot to pay. As you said above I can't pay more than the minimum so when I increase the min tier scope the "No Gaps" turns red and changes to "Gaps". No matter what I do I can't get the "Tiers not complete" to change to "complete" and turn green.

Pct. Dist and SpotPayMethod does not fill in at all. I tried to use the core method as a guide but I'm not sure how to use the formula to achieve my payout structure. What am I doing wrong.

Thanks

Ranman
MaxPower
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranman wrote:
OK, I'll chime in here.
In my games I pay out places based on # of buy-ins. 1-12 player pays 3 spots (50,30,20%), 13+ pays 4 spots (50,25,15,1

I create the Payout Tiers 1-12 and 13-MAX. At this point "No gaps" & "No overlap" are green (a good thing) but "Tiers not complete" is red (bad thing).
Now, in the "Configuration of Selected Tier", Tier Scope is 1 to 12 and I am using manual spot count method. It is only giving me 1 spot to pay. As you said above I can't pay more than the minimum so when I increase the min tier scope the "No Gaps" turns red and changes to "Gaps". No matter what I do I can't get the "Tiers not complete" to change to "complete" and turn green.

Pct. Dist and SpotPayMethod does not fill in at all. I tried to use the core method as a guide but I'm not sure how to use the formula to achieve my payout structure. What am I doing wrong.

Thanks

Ranman

Yep, this is exactly what I'm finding.

-Max
Couldn't have said it any better myself
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you are setting up the tiers right. The "No gaps" and "No overlaps" messages are making sure that you have uniform coverage from 1 all the way up to MAXINT (which would be a really big tournament).

The "Tiers not complete" message is an indicator of whether or not each tier has distributed the prizes completely.

So, that's what those mean.

The issue is this...try to follow my thinking, however silly it is.

If you create a tier for 1-12 players, what you are saying is that anywhere from 1-12 players will participate. No problem. No, what if you have a tournament where you pay the top 50%? Fine. You want to pay 6 players. What if only 5 show??? Now you have a tier that says you should pay 6 players if only 5 show! Eeek!

So, what I did was make it so that you can only specify explicit payouts up to the minimum number for that tier.

This is kinda related to what's going on behind the scenes in code. When you specify a tier that handles 20-100 players, what happens is it automatically creates 20 "payout lines" in memory to hold payout information.

The problem here is that if the tier is 1-12, it only creates 1 payout line...which looking at it now is kinds stupid.

So, you might say, "Just create enough payout lines to cover the tier!". Well, what if the tier is 11-MAX? Do I create 2,147,483,647 payout lines?? That would bring your system to its knees!

So what's the answer?

Option 1: Leave it as it is. # of payout lines = minimum.
Pros: Simple.
Cons: Confusing.

Option 2: # of available payout lines = maximum.
Pros: Simple.
Cons: Crashes your machine for the MAX tier.

Option 3: Let the user specify manually how many payout lines to pay.
Pros: More flexible.
Cons: Another widget taking up screen space.

Option 4: # of payout lines = maximum for all tiers, except the max tier where it equals minimum
Pros: Simple
Cons: Flexible and potentially wastes memory.

What to do?

I'm thinking option 3 is the way to go. It's more like v2. Just need to worry about:
a) Screen space for the widget
b) What to do if there are less players playing than specified in the tier?

Thoughts?
Ranman
"A Set of Mop Squeezers"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I think I got it.

I went back and played with the exponential method. I made 1 tier (1 to MAX), Dist 31% of buy-ins, spread=45%, decay 18%.

Using this formula the payout %'s are close enough for me to live with and the # of payouts changes from 3 @ 12 players to 4 @ 13 players. It goes to 5 @ 17 players but thats OK too. I think I can live with this method but if you intend to change it I think #3 is the way to go (my .02)

Ranman
rumackay
"A Set of Mop Squeezers"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did mention that I'm in the dumb-ass group didn't I... Wink

Anyway, for our tournaments we need the ability to manually award a high hand jackpot to any of the players at the end so all the player position lines (from min to max...except the top tier) need to be selectable/active to allow us to do so. We can do this in v2 and would dearly like to be able to in v3.

Quote:
I'm thinking option 3 is the way to go. It's more like v2. Just need to worry about:
a) Screen space for the widget
b) What to do if there are less players playing than specified in the tier?

Definately option #3 because...
a) I like widgety things... Very Happy
b) wouldn't it just go to the previous tier?? Confused
ERicJ
"Ace High"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drneau wrote:
So what's the answer?

Option 3: Let the user specify manually how many payout lines to pay.
Pros: More flexible.
Cons: Another widget taking up screen space.

What to do?

Cast my vote for Option 3. Always been a fan of software giving the users the most control. One of my favorite software quotes is:

"If you produce software that even an idiot can use, then only idiots will want to use it."

ERic
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rumackay wrote:
Anyway, for our tournaments we need the ability to manually award a high hand jackpot to any of the players at the end so all the player position lines (from min to max...except the top tier) need to be selectable/active to allow us to do so.

v3 is going to give you the ability to handle this (and things like it) another way.

You'll be able to create "sidepots" and "special awards".
i8dbear
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm completely up to date on everything softwarewise. JRE is 1.4.2 which is current for mac, with J2SE 5.0 istalled. never had problems with v2. can't believe i'm as stupid as the poll guy. I'm going to try again.

a little later....

arrrggggg. no luck. this is what the console is telling me:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: jneau/poker/tournamentManager/TournamentManager

... a little later stlll....
Jeff, are you developing for J2SE 5.0 or 1.4.2? should this matter? I played around with Java preferences to try to run it under one or the other, and no luck.

....even more later....

arrrggg again, and grrrrr, too. cannot get the dang thing to launch on G4 iMac or g4 iBook. feel like the skinny girl with zits who never got asked to dance. you guys are having all the fun! I want in.
boschie
"A Set of Mop Squeezers"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: getting the same error: Exception in thread "main" Reply with quote

Version V3b2 buildtime: August 17 2006 - 23:05 will not startup.

Error is:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: jneau/poker/tournamentManager/TournamentManager

Anyone got an answer?

GRTZ,
boschie

edit: Hmmmm, seems to be a Linux-problem... Under Windows is works fine.
i8dbear
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and suddenly...IT WORKS.

go figure. Rolling Eyes

looks very cool prima facia. I like how intuitive it is. V2 took some training. This seems more direct. applause and kudos for all the good work.

I haven't really banged on it yet, but at first glance, the console designer still seems clunky and linear. lots of steps to get things done. should be easy to change all fonts, colors, type sizes, etc. without having to pick through a list and multiple select each module. same for transparency and other universals. just a thought..

I'm sure its moved forward from this version. good on ya. can't wait for the next iteration.

see ya.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    drneau.com Forum Index -> Development and Release News All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: