drneau.com Forum Index drneau.com
A discussion board for drneau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Point systems in v3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    drneau.com Forum Index -> Development and Release News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Point systems in v3 Reply with quote

Here's what I'm thinking for point systems in v3.

- The point assignment system will be separated from the league and will become part of the tournament (for each tournament, you'll just select which point system...remember that a point system is a component...that you want it to use).
- I may come up with other options in the future for assigning points...for instance, being able to specify points awarded using a spreadsheet format rather than just a formula...but I won't focus on that for v3, I'll just make sure I think about being able to accomodate that in the future.
- The point aggregation method will be broken out from the point assignment system and will become part of the league.
- Aggregation methods will initially define whether or not points are totaled/averaged and whether or not there is a decay. I'll be able to add things in the future such as (drop the lowest X, drop the highest X, only count the top X, must play in X, etc.) Very flexible.
- As some, like 5thStreet, have desired in the past, you'll be able to display how many points someone will get for finishing in a certain place...in addition to or instead of money. Bar leagues may find this option more attractive.

So, the tournament defines how points are assigned to players, and the league decides how those points are totaled up/adjusted/massaged to come up with a league ranking.

My question for you: Is there any value in being able to make a tournament be part of MULTIPLE leagues?? And, if there is, would you want the same tournament to have different ranking methods depending on which league you looked at it through??

I'm thinking that a tournament is part of 1 league max, and if you want to make it part of an additional league then you simply have to clone the tournament and have a copy of it for the other league...unless someone can convince me otherwise.
http://home.comcast.net/~jneau
ouliwei
"Ace High"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: points and money payout? Reply with quote

could you institute a points and money payout display on the tournament. Our league games have a payout, but I could see later in the season where a player may want to know what place they must come in to move up a place or two in the league...
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: points and money payout? Reply with quote

ouliwei wrote:
could you institute a points and money payout display on the tournament. Our league games have a payout, but I could see later in the season where a player may want to know what place they must come in to move up a place or two in the league...

That's the plan. And that'll work great for some people (like 5thStreet) who have point systems tied to place.

The issue for some people (like me) will be that their point systems depend on other things than simply what place you come in. For instance, my point system takes into account how much you spent, what the buy-in was and how many people showed up.

Example: We had $50 buy-in tournament. Optional $10 add-on and optional $50 rebuy. 24 players show up.

If you come in 1st without rebuying or adding on: 17.32
If you come in 1st without rebuying, but you add on: 15.81
If you come in 1st but you've rebought AND added on: 11.68

So, I can't really tell you in advance how many points you'll get for 1st, because it depends on criteria I don't know in advance.
http://home.comcast.net/~jneau
Post new topic   Reply to topic    drneau.com Forum Index -> Development and Release News All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: