drneau.com Forum Index drneau.com
A discussion board for drneau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beta 2 observations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    drneau.com Forum Index -> Development and Release News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ranman
"A Set of Mop Squeezers"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Beta 2 observations Reply with quote

I've been playing with B2 a bit and here is what I found/noticed/suggest so far.

Disclaimer: These may or may not be valid because I am part of the "Dumba$$" test group and maybe they will be moot in the final version or I just don't know what I'm doing. Wink

First, FWIW, I am testing this beta completely on a USB 128M memory stick. I thought I'd try this based on a previous question about this in another thread. It works fine. I can put the stick in my desk top PC (both at work and Home) as well as my Laptop (which I usually run TM on). The only thing is that if you have TM on, say, a desktop PC and have the repository mapped accordingly and try to run TM from a memory stick you will have to have it point to the respository on the stick (As Doc explained in the other thread). Of course, once you do this it remains and will look there each time after.

I like the way the payout schedule was changed.
I like the player database a lot (minor things listed below)

Minor things, that are no big deal, but I thought I should mention...

To exit, the upper right "X" does not close the program. I know, this is probably not the preferred method to exit, and using File - Exit, works just fine, but just mentioning it. Also, the "warning" that asks "are you sure you want to exit?" does not come up.

Player database:

I entered my players from TM2 and when I go to add a player the ID number is the last one I used. Again, not a big deal but couldn't it "default" to the next available ID number?

When I open the database (New Player) the list is put in alpha order by last name, which I like, but could we be able to choose the order the columns are displayed? For example I would like to see last name, first name, ID#... and have the names aligned left rather than centered in the column. I know I'm being picky but I assume when we go to use the database in the new version the list will appear like it does here and it would be easier to look down the list. I know we can move the columns and sort as needed but it would just be nice to be able to set it and not need to re-arrange the lists every time.

Console configuation:
Not sure if I'll explain this correctly but I copied the consoles I made in B1 and put them in the new repository thinking that I wouldn't need to re-make them. When I did this B2 removed all my back ground colors and text formatting.
It went from this:

To this:

Is this just not allowed because it's a different Beta?

Ranman
rastapete
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, in the "Set Columns" dialog of the Player DB, selecting "Display Name" in the list activates the "Display Pattern" column, and vice versa.
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Beta 2 observations Reply with quote

Ranman wrote:
I've been playing with B2 a bit and here is what I found/noticed/suggest so far.

Ranman

Glad to hear it works fine off of a memory stick. I knew it wouldn't be a problem, but glad to know someone is actually trying it.

Thanks for the comments on the payout schedule, although it can't be perfect yet. C'mon!

"X": Just have to enable a handler for it so that it is equivalent to "File->Exit". And yeah, it will ask you to confirm exit when it's real.

ID numbering: Yeah. Gotta fix that. I had it worked out, but then changed some stuff around.

Columns. Wow! I didn't know you could reorder them! Ha! My goal is to make the sort order, widths, visibilities and display order persistent.

Console configuration: Consoles aren't meant to simply be copied into the repo (actually, nothing is because I'm changing the way certain things are saved). There will be an import facility for old consoles.
http://home.comcast.net/~jneau
eiland29
"Ace High"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bought a memory stick tonight just for this
Calendyr
"Miracle Flush"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my iPod Shuffle for tounament info, glad to hear it will support USB drives better now.

I must be missing something, I downloaded the beta and it doesn't look fonctionnal. All I see are templates for various things... can you actually run a tournament on it yet?
eiland29
"Ace High"

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you cant run a tourny yet
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calendyr wrote:
I use my iPod Shuffle for tounament info, glad to hear it will support USB drives better now.

I must be missing something, I downloaded the beta and it doesn't look fonctionnal. All I see are templates for various things... can you actually run a tournament on it yet?

Read the first screen that comes up when you run the beta.
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wise man once said wrote:
When I open the database (New Player) the list is put in alpha order by last name, which I like, but could we be able to choose the order the columns are displayed? For example I would like to see last name, first name, ID#... and have the names aligned left rather than centered in the column. I know I'm being picky but I assume when we go to use the database in the new version the list will appear like it does here and it would be easier to look down the list. I know we can move the columns and sort as needed but it would just be nice to be able to set it and not need to re-arrange the lists every time.

Okay. I figured out a way to save the following for a table so that I can save your table layout:
- Which columns are visible.
- The width for each column.
- The sort status for each column.
- The column order.

Whee! Thanks for letting me know you could reorder the columns.
Seitz333
"Cowboys"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played with B2 last night and noticed when you select to have winners receive their own bounties then go back to the main payouts screen it says winners do not receive their own bounties. This is also vice versa if you select for the winners to not receive their own bounties it will say they do receive the bounties.

Chuck
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seitz333 wrote:
Played with B2 last night and noticed when you select to have winners receive their own bounties then go back to the main payouts screen it says winners do not receive their own bounties. This is also vice versa if you select for the winners to not receive their own bounties it will say they do receive the bounties.

Chuck

Good catch. Fixed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    drneau.com Forum Index -> Development and Release News All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: