drneau.com Forum Index drneau.com
A discussion board for drneau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JavaW taking up a lot of resources

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    drneau.com Forum Index -> The v2 Bucket
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoshFink
"Cowboys"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: JavaW taking up a lot of resources Reply with quote

Is anyone else having this problem? It seems that when the program is running javaw.exe is running at about 75% of CPU. Awfully high.

I'm running a 2GHz Centrino with 1gb of ram if it matters. No other applications are running the background and no clients are connected right now either.

Thanks

Josh
jumperjeff
"Miracle Flush"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something is wrong. I'm using a laptop with a 1.4 GHz Centrino proc and 500 MB ram and my CPU is at about 5% with the timer running. Javaw is hardly touching resources. 0% CPU and 40,000K memory.
JoshFink
"Cowboys"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any clue where to look?

Josh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Me neither Reply with quote

I ran a test with the server and two consoles all displaying on one computer over 3 hours. Each of the processes hangs out at around 35MB. CPU stays around 5-10%. And this was with the results scroll animation going.

I've got a Pentium4 running XP Professional.
JoshFink
"Cowboys"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.. Maybe I had some crazy runaway process going.. Oh well. Must be me.

Thanks

Josh
JoshFink
"Cowboys"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.. So here's the deal. I have no resource problems UNTIL I select the box "Main Console Visible on this computer".

The the CPU usage for Javaw.exe jumps to between 50-75% .. No clue why. As soon as I uncheck the box, it drops down to 0.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Josh
JoshFink
"Cowboys"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK.. So I think it has something to do with the resolution of the screen. I run my laptop at 1900x1200 and the CPU usage is as above with this. I lowered it down to 1280x768 (something around there) and the CPU hovered between 35-48%.

Better, which leads me to believe it's a resolution problem.

Any clue what would be causing this?

Thanks

Josh
JBWilkins
"Twos full of Threes"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your laptop share its main memory with the graphics system memory (which some do)? If that is the case I bet at 1900X1200 you are running out of video RAM and it is having to rely on system RAM and maybe the CPU is having to do some management of it.....
JoshFink
"Cowboys"

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the video card has it's own memory. Weird thing happened today. Ran fine for 4 hours today and all of a sudden it started to slow down, nothing changed really but the resources just shot way up.

Is no one else having this problem at all?

Josh
jumperjeff
"Miracle Flush"

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used it today for 5 hours and had no problems. It was only an 8 person game with one table, but everything ran smoothly.
jalsing
"Cowboys"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed similar resource issues. Last tourney, TM was running fine, I always make sure to exit any other apps as I know my laptop is older and not resource intesive in the first place. Anyways, four or so hours into the tourney, I'm noticing that every player I eliminate, it is taking the TM a bit longer to return to the console screen. The player selection boxes show up pretty quick, but upon clicking on the 'Player Y will be eliminated by Player X" confirmation, the console freezes, as does the remote console I was running. At first it was like 30 seconds, but later as we were left with 3 people, it took like 10 minutes to get the console back. Eventually I noticed that although I had eliminated everybody, and they showed eliminated in the player tab, TM had not yet prompted me that "the tourney is over" after eliminating the number 2 player. The event log also didn't show that I'd eliminated #3 or #2 even though the player tab did.

I had to shut down the TM and restart, then re-eliminate the #2, finally it told me 'tournament is over', etc.
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The version just posted to drneau.com/TournamentManager.zip has a fix that should help you jalsing. There was an issue with client/server mode where I wasn't clearing out the pipe between the client and server regularly. As a result, the apps would grow and grow and grow. This may have been what you were seeing.
http://home.comcast.net/~jneau
JoshFink
"Cowboys"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thanks for the help.

Josh
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    drneau.com Forum Index -> The v2 Bucket All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: