drneau.com Forum Index drneau.com
A discussion board for drneau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tournament Poker and the Art of War

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Tournament Poker and the Art of War Reply with quote

Very interesting book on tournament poker. This book assumes you already know what you are doing and supplies a lot of nuggets to help improve your results.

I think the word 'Art' in the title is the key...tournament poker is not a science...there is no formula to winning. Successsful players are constantly adjusting to the conditions and constantly mixing up their play. No decisions are made hastily...all options are evaluated to maximize chip accumulation with minimal risk.

One point I like about this book is that it tells you throw out the concept of 'pot committed'. How much you have invested in a pot doesn't matter. What matters is how much you have left after the hand is over. The author also recommends you place less emphasis on pot odds. Pot odds are worthless if you get eliminated.

A good quick read.
http://home.comcast.net/~jneau
Mikee
"Ace High"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: get rid of "pot committed" concept in trounaments. Reply with quote

ABSOLUTELY TRUE. I have several guys in our weekly 20p game who went from winners to losers after learning about pot odds and pot committed. This skill is very valuable in limit play, particularly low-limit, but almost worthless in no-limit tournament play.

Exception:

$400 in the pot, 4 to a straight on the board, you got top pair only, it's heads up and the other guy leads out with a $20 bet still leaving you chip leader... i.e. no skin off your back to give this guy a bit more in order to take down the pot. Call for the confirmation and peace of mind if not for the chance to win the huge pot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    drneau.com Forum Index -> Potpourri All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: