drneau.com Forum Index drneau.com
A discussion board for drneau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ebb and flow

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LA_Rounder
"Straight to the Ace"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: ebb and flow Reply with quote

i'd been in one of those weeklong-slumps wherein my cash game play was unstoppable, but my tournament play was suffering due to an unlikely string of bad beats. you know the ones. we're talking AQ beaten by QJ, KK beaten by AK, KK beaten by AJ, etc. etc. not shockingly bad, not 96%-4% with all the money in with one card to come bad, but when taken together quite a costly lurch of variance. when your big hands don't hold up, it's tough to win tournaments.

thursday: my home game--his AK beats my KK by turning a straight. seeya. my read was perfect.

saturday: another forum member's monthly game--two big hands where i have a 3-1 lead or better going in don't hold up; the first one cripples me and the last one sends me packing well before the final table. again, read perfect, got the money in as a favorite (pretty much had to on the last hand, but still!), lost.

sunday: a 13-player home game that weights payouts heavily toward winning--in 6+ hours i see 3 big pairs, play great and have little in the way of bad luck when trying to bust people with marginally worse hands than me, taking the whole thing down.

why post this?

i read something recently that really helps me get through those fits and starts of bad luck with the cards, and it's paraphrased something like this, "over time, the cards and the luck will even out, so it's skill that wins at poker." next time you're going through a bad run, make sure you're playing well and it will turn around for you.
5thStreetPokerParties.com
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the most unlucky poker player ever. It seems every time I decide to put all my chips in - I'll have the best hand and somehow the poker gods find a way for me to lose.

Every time...

Quote:
"I guess if luck weren't involved, I'd win every time."

I feel ya, Phil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    drneau.com Forum Index -> Home Poker Topics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: