drneau.com Forum Index drneau.com
A discussion board for drneau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Report on first HU tourney (& well-camouflaged brag post

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rastapete
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Report on first HU tourney (& well-camouflaged brag post Reply with quote

We tried this out last night - I used 1k stacks, and the blinds schedule off www.homepokertourney.com, goes like this:

5/10
10/20
20/40
25/50
50/100
100/200
200/400

15 minute levels. I set them up in TM and restarted level one for the next round of matches. We didn't carry forward chips, because: a) I didn't see why I should set up 18 levels; 2) I wanted the chips availabe for the cash game that would run concurrently with rounds 2 & 3.

I had set up brackets in Excel for 8, 9,10, 11 & 12 players. The spreadsheet pulled the names from a list - all I had to do was fill the list with who was actually present and the first round matches were set. Put a "W" in the cell beside the name and that name would appear in the appropriate place for the next round.

I used the finishing standings from last year's league to 'seed' the players, and there were some newcomers who would come in as bottom seeds. Turned out we had some cancellations and ended up with exactly 8 players, all regular league members. I set up two matches on the full size table, and one each at small tables.

First round losers started up the regular cash game. Three of the first round matches were over by L4, but one went well over an hour, into L6. In fact, one of the second round matches was done & dusted before that first round match was over (I used my watch to time the levels for that match), so the players who were waiting just played the cash game while the marathoners ground it out.

We paid 60%/40% to 1st & 2nd. The play itself was fun, I thought. Some of the players bitched & moaned about the amount of shuffling & dealing they had to do. We gave each pair two decks. Maybe some people would prefer the slower pace of using one deck.

In two of the three matches I played, there was one hand that swung things. In one, I flopped a set of threes and allowed my opponent, who turned out to have middle pair, to bet into me all the way down to the river, when I raised his bet and he knew he was beat and folded, but was down to maybe 6BBs. In another, I flopped 2 pair with K-J against A-K. Pre-flop, I was BB, he raised to 2BB (10-20 level), I raised by 100, he called. He flopped TPTK, I flopped top 2, and check-raised him all in.

I sucked out in the final, though I did have a big lead at the time. I had second pair on a 9-J-3 flop. He called a 3/4-pot sized bet, turn was a 10, I led, he pushed. I had 125 more into a pot worth 600 or so, called thinking I was probably beat, he had a 10. I called for the river to pair my kicker, the deck obliged.

It was fun but I'm not sure if we'll repeat since a couple of our guys didn't seem to enjoy it all that much. I guess if you're not calling down with 6 people in the pot and a gutshot draw, it's not poker.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    drneau.com Forum Index -> Home Poker Topics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: