drneau.com Forum Index drneau.com
A discussion board for drneau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Contemplation of Design

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaxPower
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Contemplation of Design Reply with quote

I've been kicking around the idea to build my own table. I've put a few designs into the old CAD program and came up with this:

I kinda like the idea of cupholders in the padded rail, and I've given myself the option of adding lighting at a future date. Right now, it's made out of one 3/4" 4 by 8, one 1/2" 4 by 8 and one 3/8" 4 by 8... But I thin I may be able to come up with a design using two 3/4" 4 by 8 - one nice for the racetrack, and another not so nice for the rail and inlay.

Comments, suggestions?

Max
Such a CAD!
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chips will get jammed under the rail.
http://home.comcast.net/~jneau
JBWilkins
"Twos full of Threes"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found MDF for my surface and rail and it worked well (heavy, but takes screws and glue well)....

I didn't do a racetrack, but you might consider 1/4" or 1/8" hardwood plywood(oak, burch..etc) for the racetrack. You normally use a 1/8" to 1/4" pad under the playing surface (1/4" volara foam is what I did).......Plus you will come closer to getting a nice piece in hardwood plywood without spending a ton of money....

You also may want to make sure you can remove the field if you need to recover it.........
MaxPower
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - I haven't included the "coverplate" yet for the rail - I need to come up with a material that I can bend easily, and I'll be routing a chanel for it in the racetrack for it to sit in to close off the 1-1/2" dead space.

I guess I shoulda mentioned that the field will be removable (bolted from underneath) as will the rail. I am also toying with the idea of making the table hinged for easy storage, with one side being rounded over, the other with a lip, like a leaf on a table. Maybe stage two...

Thanks for the comments - keep them coming.

Max
I ain't Amish.
JBWilkins
"Twos full of Threes"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking to make it fold be careful......some of the foams people use for under the playing surface don't always fully recover from extend compression. I believe the volara is one of them.......
MaxPower
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's where a removable playing field would be devine! Yeah - the rail would have to be removed as well, unless I can figure out how to split the foam...

-Max
Post new topic   Reply to topic    drneau.com Forum Index -> Home Poker Topics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: