drneau.com Forum Index drneau.com
A discussion board for drneau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Payment...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    drneau.com Forum Index -> The v2 Bucket
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattjgalloway
"Cowboys"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Payment... Reply with quote

Hey there,

I've been using Tournament Manager to manage my 10 person tourneys every now and again but I am now finding that I am needing to manage some bigger tourneys. I kinda don't really wanna spend $10 a quarter as I don't really use it enough to warrant that and I take no rake for my tourneys.

So do you think I could just drop you some cash of some amount and get the password? Or does the password change with each update and therefore I'd only be able to use one version? :-S

I'm only a poor Uni student and want Dr. Neau to help me arrange my poker tourneys so I can take money off my mates! Hehe.
MaxPower
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If ya wanna play like the pros, you gotta pay like the pros. Dude - just take a $1 rake every month or something. It's less a month than one full tank of gas...

-Max
BTW - how much do you think I could get on the black market for passwords now-a-days?
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Payment... Reply with quote

mattjgalloway wrote:
Hey there,

I've been using Tournament Manager to manage my 10 person tourneys every now and again but I am now finding that I am needing to manage some bigger tourneys. I kinda don't really wanna spend $10 a quarter as I don't really use it enough to warrant that and I take no rake for my tourneys.

So do you think I could just drop you some cash of some amount and get the password? Or does the password change with each update and therefore I'd only be able to use one version? :-S

I'm only a poor Uni student and want Dr. Neau to help me arrange my poker tourneys so I can take money off my mates! Hehe.

Same price for everyone.
http://home.comcast.net/~jneau
5thStreetPokerParties.com
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How 'bout this... he has to get a note from every subscriber saying that it's okay that he get a discounted rate...
MaxPower
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Payment... Reply with quote

mattjgalloway wrote:

Judging by that statement, I have a feeling he's from Canada. Dang Canadians - they always are looking for handouts!

-Max
Blame Canada!
mattjgalloway
"Cowboys"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe about black market!

Nah I'm not saying I shouldn't pay at all, or even a lower rate. What I mean its... why do you have to pay every quarter? I mean, if I go buy some software from a shop I don't keep paying them that amount every quarter do I?

I feel there should be an option for this. I don't mind if I never get updates, and if I do decide I want an update then have to pay again, but I would just like to use Dr Neau's software. I could go get another peice of software for a one off fee, of course not as good software though Wink.

As for taking a rake... well then I'd get no players! Dude who is gonna come along to a poker game which is menna be a bit of fun with some mates if they see me getting all this cash for doing nothing. Even if it just covered the cost of this, they would just say that I should time using a kitchen timer, which I don't wanna do as it distracts me from my game!!!
mattjgalloway
"Cowboys"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok.

Now I look at it... maybe I see...

I only looked at the subscribe option and didn't see the one below that. I assume that $10 gets me 3 months of usage, and after that I guess I can continue to use the software, but not use the updates... right?

Is there any chance if I get $10 dropped into PayPal today then you could get a password to me before 18:00 GMT? I guess not, but if you could, it'd be great as I'm having a huge game tonight for my birthday (21st) and wanna use Dr Neau...
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattjgalloway wrote:
Ah ok.

Now I look at it... maybe I see...

I only looked at the subscribe option and didn't see the one below that. I assume that $10 gets me 3 months of usage, and after that I guess I can continue to use the software, but not use the updates... right?

Is there any chance if I get $10 dropped into PayPal today then you could get a password to me before 18:00 GMT? I guess not, but if you could, it'd be great as I'm having a huge game tonight for my birthday (21st) and wanna use Dr Neau...

$10 gets you the right to use the extended features for 3 months. After that 3 months, your rights to the extended features go away unless you ante up again.
mattjgalloway
"Cowboys"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so my inital thoughts were correct then. I need to pay $10 every quarter no matter what. That's the bit that is annoying me.

I think you should have an option for non-commercial people (i.e. home games, not the big tourneys) that they can pay, say $30 (i'd easily pay that) and have 1 copy of the software for ever, no updates. Then maybe charge for updates so that if something improves that people want, they can upgrade for a smaller price.

I know you could then run into people using the key more than once, but hey, that could happen with the quarterly one couldn't it.

Ok, so for now I will continue to only have games of <=12 people... shame... I want to use Dr Neau for all my tourneys.

Last edited by mattjgalloway on Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattjgalloway wrote:
why do you have to pay every quarter? I mean, if I go buy some software from a shop I don't keep paying them that amount every quarter do I?

I feel there should be an option for this. I don't mind if I never get updates, and if I do decide I want an update then have to pay again, but I would just like to use Dr Neau's software. I could go get another peice of software for a one off fee, of course not as good software though Wink.

As for taking a rake... well then I'd get no players! Dude who is gonna come along to a poker game which is menna be a bit of fun with some mates if they see me getting all this cash for doing nothing. Even if it just covered the cost of this, they would just say that I should time using a kitchen timer, which I don't wanna do as it distracts me from my game!!!

You have to pay every quarter because that's the model I use. It's my company, so I decide. Very Happy

Seriously, though. There's no incentive for me to offer a 1-time fee that gives you lifetime access. This is just a hobby for me. The recurring fees are insurance that I'm going to keep working on it.

The current model is working very well...and plenty of people feel it is fair. In fact, I get quite a few emails from people saying they can't believe it is only $3.33 a month.

I do appreciate that you can go buy other software, and that you feel mine is better.

My reasoning is this...if the software keeps providing you with value, then $3.33 a month for the rest of your poker tournament days is a drop in the bucket. If you are starting to have tournaments with more than 12 people, you can easily explain, "Hey, who likes the software? Okay, if we want to keep using it, then you need to fork over $0.25 per game." That's not a house rake. That's asking everyone to share the burden.

Please don't give me the starving college student line...drink 3 fewer beers each month.
LuckySe7ens
"Cowboys"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drneau wrote:
Please don't give me the starving college student line...drink 3 fewer beers each month.

Doc, could you direct me to that bar with the $1.11 beer?
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuckySe7ens wrote:
drneau wrote:

Doc, could you direct me to that bar with the $1.11 beer?

Happy hour
rastapete
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drneau wrote:
In fact, I get quite a few emails from people saying they can't believe it is only $3.33 a month.

I just wanted to let my fellow subscribers know that, notwithstanding that I occasionally polish dr. neau's knob around here (speaking entirely metaphorically, of course), I sent no such email.
mattjgalloway
"Cowboys"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol yes. $1.11 per beer would be impressive!

I'm not saying poor student! I'm just saying that as a person who holds home games where people come for fun and not necessarily to win money - we just play games for fun with £5 buy-in as a kinda incentive to play decent poker. There's only 3 of us who play who are what I would call "experienced players". And people just wouldn't bother turning up even if I said a $0.25 rake per game. Anyway, I couldn't be sure that would cover it all - we don't play on a regular basis enough to know how much to charge.

I respect your choice to have the software paid for like it is, just doesn't fit with my needs for now.

Ah if it's not going to be feasible then I guess I'll have to carry on using the free version for now Sad.
MaxPower
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattjgalloway wrote:
we just play games for fun with £5 buy-in as a kinda incentive to play decent poker. There's only 3 of us who play who are what I would call "experienced players".

Ah ha! Now I gotcha - British.

mattjgalloway wrote:
And people just wouldn't bother turning up even if I said a $0.25 rake per game. Anyway, I couldn't be sure that would cover it all - we don't play on a regular basis enough to know how much to charge.

Assuming you are British, this means your paying only roughly half the amount you would pay if you were in the US - since the exchange rate is roughly 2 to 1. That being said, it would only cost your cheap-arse friends a couple of pence to keep current on the subscription. Also, most of the people that play in my games (the largest turn out for any one game so far has been 19) aren't "experienced" either - most are just in it to have fun and try and win a few bucks. But I'm sure I could squeeze $.25 out of all of them to cover the cost of the program. Heck, if you like it that much, just pay for it yourself.

mattjgalloway wrote:
I respect your choice to have the software paid for like it is, just doesn't fit with my needs for now.

Man, I hate to sound like a firestarter here - anyway - ah heck, it isn't worth venting about.

mattjgalloway wrote:
Ah if it's not going to be feasible then I guess I'll have to carry on using the free version for now Sad.

Any one else feeling sorry for this guy?

-Max
Do I hear violins?
(This may very well be the closest this forums ever gonna get to hearing Max get steamed...)
rastapete
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Assuming you are British, this means your paying only roughly half the amount you would pay if you were in the US - since the exchange rate is roughly 2 to 1."

That doesn't really make sense Max. It's not like incomes translate at 1:1 and purchases at 2:1.
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rastapete wrote:
"Assuming you are British, this means your paying only roughly half the amount you would pay if you were in the US - since the exchange rate is roughly 2 to 1."

That doesn't really make sense Max. It's not like incomes translate at 1:1 and purchases at 2:1.

I was about to start charging red-coats 2x as much...
rastapete
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drneau wrote:
rastapete wrote:

On second thoughts, I'd be thrilled to pay 10 of my dollars for TM. That translates into about 15 US cents.
Dix
"Royal Flush - No Hat"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drneau wrote:

..and the French 10x as much Very Happy
MaxPower
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rastapete wrote:

I know - but doesn't everyone in Britain make the same as we do in the US? I mean if I make $50K, doesn't someone in a similary job make 50K pounds? Very Happy

-Max
If they did, they'd make twice as much as I did, so they'd get it for 1/2 as much as I can! Make sense now?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    drneau.com Forum Index -> The v2 Bucket All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: