drneau.com Forum Index drneau.com
A discussion board for drneau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions about setting up VLAN

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Williamhawk
"Straight Flush that I Folded"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Questions about setting up VLAN Reply with quote

Hiii..

I have a situation where a VLAN setup may or may not be beneficial. I have never messed with VLANs so am not sure if this would be my solution or not. I have a 7 computer network setup all running Windows 7 pro 64-bit. 3 of the computers are in one building and 4 are in the other. All 7 computers run into a switch which is then ran into a router and in turn ran into an At&T gateway for internet. All devices are Gigabit. We have 2 routers one of which is running the network and the other is not physically plugged into the network (yet) and only serves as wifi access. The one that is running the wired network is set for 192.168.2.1 gateway and all computers are statically set for that gateway. We also have a dedicated computer again running Windows 7 that serves as a poor mans server that we use files from. Every computer connects to that server. The router/gateway that is running the wireless signal is defaulted at 192.168.1.254. We only run off of the wired router for internet (currently) which runs at a slow 12Mbps speed. So, I am wondering if I can plug the wireless router into the switch and serve internet for half of the computers from it and the other computers would still have internet through the other wired router. So I want half of the computers running internet from the newly plugged in wireless router/gateway and also be able for them to connect to the server. The other half of computers will remain unchanged. So would I use a VLAN for the computer that will be running internet from the wireless router/gateway and if so how would I configure them?

Thanks.!

For more details:-

creative advertisements
Post new topic   Reply to topic    drneau.com Forum Index -> Networking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: