drneau.com Forum Index drneau.com
A discussion board for drneau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Betting Schedule Creation Wizard in v3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    drneau.com Forum Index -> Development and Release News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Betting Schedule Creation Wizard in v3 Reply with quote

I've totally revamped the betting schedule creation wizard in v3. This post will let you know all about it.

First...think back to the one in v2. At the time I wrote it, I assumed everyone played No-Limit Hold'em. While it took starting stack size into account, it didn't take a number of participants (or add-ons or rebuys) into account.

v3 fixes all of that.

First, when you start the wizard...

you are prompted to choose from about 20 types of tournaments...and this will grow as needed. Each tournament type will be treated special.

Then, when you select a tournament (in this case, NLHE), you are prompted with the following.

Now, that may seem like a lot of info...but for most of it you could simply select the defaults. Although, it's all critical. Here's what's on it and how I use it:

Pre-Tournament Segments
Obvious what this is...and although I just said that everything here is critical, I may end up ripping this part out of the wizard and just have it create 1 60-minute pre segment by default. It's easy enough to add your own.

Duration Planning
How long you want the tournament to last INCLUDING breaks. Then, within that time, you tell it how long rounds should last, how long breaks should last and how long between breaks. It sets up everything for you based on those inputs.

In Case The Tournament Runs Long
Always good to have extra levels in case the planning goes less-than-perfect. You can specify how far past the expected end it should go and whether or not it should cut the duration of those extra levels.
Most people will probably take the defaults for this.

Chip Case
Which chip case to use (if this is a tournament, you won't be able to edit this...if this is just a component, you can tell it to base its calculations off of your chip case. If you don't specify a chip case, it just uses the standard (5, 25, 100, 500, 1000, 5000, 25000, 100000, 500000, 1000000).

The "round factor" is used to determine the rounding of bets based on the chips in your case. For instance, the wizard might calculate that a bet is ideally 112.524..but obviously that needs to be rounded. A value of "20" here means "take the value of the large blind in any round and divide it by 20, then take the first chip that's greater than that (25 in this case) and round all bets at this level to the value of that chip. Cool stuff. As far as you are concerned, the higher this number is, the longer your lower-denomination chips need to stay around (but the smoother the betting progression). The lower the number, the sooner you can cash in low chips (but the choppier the betting progression).

Estimation of Chips in Play
A little workbook to help you estimate how many chips will be in play. This plays into what the bets need to get to within the timeframe you specified above.

Deepness and Aggressiveness
Most people start a tournament with the BB around 1% of the starting stack and their tournaments usually end when the BB is around 5% of the chips in play. Maybe that isn't the case for you, so you can adjust it.

Best of all: If you come back to the wizard without restarting the tool, it saves all of your settings. So you can produce a schedule, tweak one parameter and reproduce! Whee! Developing is fun.

Here's the schedule I produced with the wizard:

PS: I've just edited the wizard so that all breaks and pre segments pause at the end by default.
http://home.comcast.net/~jneau
rastapete
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you are prompted to choose from about 20 types of tournaments...and this will grow as needed. Each tournament type will be treated special.

Custom tournament types allowed? My HORSE is non-standard ("E" is Omaha Hi-Lo).
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rastapete wrote:
Quote:

Custom tournament types allowed? My HORSE is non-standard ("E" is Omaha Hi-Lo).

Worst case for you:
- Use HORSE wizard
- Select all "Stud 8/b" levels using "Stinky Pete's Custom Level Selector" and change them to "Omaha 8/b".
Done.
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wizard is complete.

Right now, it has support for creating the following:

Limit HO
Limit Hold'em
Limit HORSE
Limit Omaha
Limit Omaha 8/b
Limit Razz
Limit SHOE
Limit Stud
Limit Stub 8/b
MixedLimit Holdem (Fixed and No-Limit)
No-Limit Hold'em
No-Limit Omaha
No-Limit Omaha 8/b
Pot-Limit Hold'em
Pot-Limit Omaha
Pot-Limit Omaha 8/b

What else do you need?

I've got it to the point where supporting a new game amounts to literally ten lines of code. Here's the code for Stud:

Code:
package jneau.tournamentManager.ui.server.BettingScheduleCreationWizard;

import java.awt.Component;

import jneau.tournamentManager.domain.BettingSchedule;

public class LimitStud extends AbstractBringInGame {

public static String TYPE = "Stud (Limit)";

public static String [] LIMITS = { BettingSchedule.LIMITTYPE_FIXED };

public static String [] GAMES = { "Stud" };

public LimitStud (Component parent, BettingSchedule bettingSchedule) {
      super (parent, TYPE, BASE_LARGEBET, LIMITS, GAMES, bettingSchedule);   
   }
}

SokSareth
"Ace High"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, that may seem like a lot of info...but for most of it you could simply select the defaults. Although, it's all critical. Here's what's on it and how I use it:

goldenslot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    drneau.com Forum Index -> Development and Release News All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: